'18 Expedition Platinum vs '18 Yukon Denali

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the Quad turbo 4 cylinder hydrogen powered engine and the self-driving feature. The all glass roof is nice and so is the rear spoiler. I also like the 12" ground clearance and the standard 24" wheels and 65 series tires... :)

I’m not going to trust self driving. I was driving a family members yukon with all that forward collision stuff. It was telling me I was going to crash the whole drive and kept vibrating and trying to brake because of the salt on the sensors. Thankfully you can shut all that junk off. I’ll always be driving myself. As far as that quad turbo hydrogen I’ll be doing a 8.2 Liter 502 CID V8 swap and rip that junk right out.:)

But in all seriousness I think hybrid SUVs will be coming out for the future. I’m ok with self driving as long as I can drive when I feel I should or desire to and shut it off.

Gasoline engines still have a lot of future left. Cheap and long lasting with the infrastructure to support it.

Last edited:

gtnator

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the Quad turbo 4 cylinder hydrogen powered engine and the self-driving feature. The all glass roof is nice and so is the rear spoiler. I also like the 12" ground clearance and the standard 24" wheels and 65 series tires... :)

lol, and I also love the new “hover” option, for jumping over traffic jams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m not going to trust self driving. I was driving a family members yukon with all that forward collision stuff. It was telling me I was going to crash the whole drive and kept vibrating and trying to brake because of the salt on the sensors. Thankfully you can shut all that junk off. I’ll always be driving myself. As far as that quad turbo hydrogen I’ll be doing a 8.2 Liter 502 CID V8 swap and rip that junk right out.:)

But in all seriousness I think hybrid SUVs will be coming out for the future. I’m ok with self driving as long as I can drive when I feel I should or desire to and shut it off.

Gasoline engines still have a lot of future left. Cheap and long lasting with the infrastructure to support it.
Yeah but that quad 4 cylinder hydrogen engine puts out 540 Hp with 680 Ft/lbs of torque. :)

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah but that quad 4 cylinder hydrogen engine puts out 540 Hp with 680 Ft/lbs of torque. :)

Still doesn’t touch Fords lovely 6.7:D 925 lb ft of torque for 2018 out of this beast. A 502 can do a hell of a lot more than 680 ft pounds with some help lol. Ratings only mean so much in the end, people survived with 80 horses back in the day.

Last edited:

metaldrgn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you know you want a new car and you want to know which is better look for reviews like motor trend or something. The more the better. From one review I saw, the expedition was significantly better. Do your research first. Also remember that you are buying a new car and with that comes new problems and bugs so don't be surprised when you have to make multiple trips to the dealer with problems and to get software updates.

Kevink109

Reaction score
If you know you want a new car and you want to know which is better look for reviews like motor trend or something. The more the better. From one review I saw, the expedition was significantly better. Do your research first. Also remember that you are buying a new car and with that comes new problems and bugs so don't be surprised when you have to make multiple trips to the dealer with problems and to get software updates.

Getting back to the original question

for me it was simple - my current Escalade was literally falling apart, and I was going to purchase something ASAP before I ha to spend another 3k on the slade. For my money the only full size ( 3 rows of legit seating and still have room in the back for gear and a dog, 4 wheel drive, plus occasional towing was the previous generation expedition/Navigator or the new 18 Expy/Navigator. The previous gen was pretty bullet proof and even highly recommended by Consumer Reports. Will have to see how Ford did with the new generation.

My current Ford vehicle has been great- and it was a first generation plug in hybrid- so I went on faith that the new Expedition would live up to the same standard. I really like the looks of the current GM GMT900 platform vehicles and I do like me some 6.2 liter V8. But I simply couldn't buy one based on my previous ownership experience. I have multiple friends with the new platform- some love it and have had no issues, others can't stand the vehicle- its a crapshoot as far as I can tell.

The new Expedition has a nicer interior, rides better, is more up to date from a technology stand point - and I like the way it looks and drives. I didn't even get to see a Navigator as none were delivered in my area before I needed to buy. That being said I jumped on a XLT/FX4 MAX over a Limited MAX as it was 12k less and still had (almost) everything I needed/wanted. I would have a hard time spending 100k on a family truckster.

You need to go drive both and see what you prefer.

metaldrgn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well this frustrated 90% loss troll comment is obviously the best proof of the hater Theory... (#sosad)

Personally I would never buy a GM. NEVER! I just don´t like how they (not the dealer) treat their customers.
Example?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Motors_ignition_switch_recalls
https://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/gmc-yukon-denali.html

So even a denali for free ist nothing but a untrusworthy piece of junk. (FOR ME PERSONALLY!)

I have to wait a bit longer for my new expy, at the moment here in Germany the import price of a 18´ Limited incl. Taxes would be about 110,000 Euros.
So more than 130,000 Dollars... I am but not that crazy...

But I have time and I just wait till someone imported it and realised too late that his european one-cargarage has only enough space for the winter tires.. but not the expy itself... ;)
90% is not a hater theory or frustration it's the truth in that regard... Looks up KBB values vs original prices...

Never say never!

lbv150

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It comes down to this: Are you a Ford or GM person? That will answer your question on which one to choose.