'18 Expedition Platinum vs '18 Yukon Denali

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What do you like about it over the sync 3? I am an iPhone user btw but prefer the google map over Apple map.
I've never really used sync 3, so it's tough to comment. I had a whole pile of rental cars this last year, one of which had CarPlay. I fell in love with the voice controlled text messaging. It was easy and intuitive to use. Sure, our Odyssey has some sort of voice control, but the few times I've tried to use it, it's been useless... Sync3 is probably pretty good. But the Armada still has the original infotainment software from ~2011 when the Y62 Patrol was introduced. So if you buy the Armada you have to expect that the voice control of the infotainment system and its integration with your phone is going to suck.

oddwon

Reaction score
If you are towing the only choices are Ford or GM. Toyota or Nissan are not in the same size class in my opinion. I’d love to see Ford and GM offer a diesel option. But until then they both offer great engine choices. GM has done great things with their V8 engines and Ford has done great things with their dual turbo charged V6. The Ford has unmatched torque. I was worried at first about durability but the V6 durability has now become proven by the test of time ( and mileage). If your looking for maximum room, towing and power there’s only two lines in the game. If you’re going to use the 3rd row I’d suggest sitting back there. The Ford has a much more usable third row due to their multi link independent suspension. GM is still using a solid rear axle. Personally I think you’ll be happy with either.

I'm 6'4" and no issues when trying the back seat on the '18 Expy. They were waving all the sales people over to see me back there.

oddwon

Reaction score
Just curious, why is the Nissan not a choice? I suppose if you're towing a heavy trailer on a regular basis, but I don't see why the Nissan would not be a choice. To compare, the 2018 Expedition has 375 HP and 480lbft torque. The Nissan Armada has 390HP and 394 lb-ft of torque. (Side note, I don't know much about the Toyota, but the exterior looks a bit dated to me)

We test drove a 2018 Armada Platinum this week and a 2018 Expedition Limited (no Platinum to be seen on the lot!). Honestly, I think our 2014 Expedition still meets ours needs, so I'm not really enthusiastic about buying either of them. I'm honestly indifferent at this point, but it's my wife's daily driver, so you know how that goes...

My wife thought they were both equally nice, but preferred the exterior look of the Armada. It's also significantly less, with virtually all of the same options. I hadn't thought too much about the towing aspect because I only occasionally pull a utility trailer to get things like mulch at Lowes. The 3rd row of the Expedition is bigger / roomier . Both seem to have fairly limited room behind the 3rd row (as does our current Expedition). We're not interested in the Max though, tooooooo big, but they are cool.

Last comment- both have a 36k mile warranty, that seems really short. Right off the bat you're looking at the cost of an extended warranty.

Thoughts?

The Armada's price point is very attractive but the fact they haven't sent it or the QX version to iihs for crash testing raises a big red flag for me for a family hauler.

Mike Wolfe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Plenty of towing tests in the mountains by TFL and the 3.5 loses PLENTY of power. In fact the 6.2 keeps right up with it at elevation, difference is so minuscule it’s negligeable. In fact the 6.2 is noticeably more fuel efficient whilst towing over the 3.5 in their tests as well even at elevation. At the end of the day the argument can continue on forever, it’s all in what you prefer.
Unless there is something wrong turbocharged engines do not lose any power at high altitudes. Sorry but you are misinformed.This from a retired automotive engineer

Mike Wolfe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I should define this a bit more. Today's modern turbocharged engines use absolute sensors to define boost pressure. Therefore the engines hp & torque will be the same at 14k ft & at sea level. Lot of misinformation out there from people who really do not understand this fact.
Here is a link from Borg Warner a turbo authority
http://www.turbos.bwauto.com/en/products/turbochargerAdvantages.aspx

Last edited:

hunter991

Reaction score
The Armada is a nice truck. I looked at those as well when i bought new in 2017. The only thing i didn't like was the gas mileage. MPG matters to me. Its our travel truck for weekends north at our cabin. In the summer i saw as high as 24 mpg on our tahoe doing 63 in a 55. Goes down a bit in the 70mph zones going 80 but still around 20 mpg which is fantastic. We had a Sequoia before the tahoe and it towed just fine. It was a great vehicle. MPG on that truck was never above 18. But it towed my 6k boat just fine.

Dormammu

Reaction score
I apologize if this has been mentioned, I didn't read the entire thread.

Google Tahoe and buffeting. Lots of owners are having the problem, though not all. But if it's your car, it's miserable. We experienced it on a test drive and we could hear the buffeting and got headaches and earaches in just the 15 minutes we were in the car. Extensive threads on GM forums report that the problem is still not fixed several years later (we drove a 15).

Because of this alone we're not even looking at the GM products.

Expy, Navigator and QX80 are our top runners.

Right now we're leaning heavily to the Navigator.