2 strange issues today

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
M

MBK2019

Reaction score
It could be. I reread your original post, and if a filter isn't right as far as fit, or sealing, more important, then yeah, your trans can't build pressure. My brother did a trans service on his 97 Thunderbird years back. He said it wouldn't shift or pull right, after a drain and fill. He pulled the pan, and found out he didn't pop the filter in right. After he did, all was good. I'm thinking that was probably your issue.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

I'm hoping so. I am going to go ahead and do a good tune up on it, change plugs and such. Does everyone suggest sticking with the motorcraft plugs or somebody had better luck with any others?

OP
OP
M

MBK2019

Reaction score
Sounds like your ECM is failing. Here is a report of my Mounty that experienced a forced engine shutdown at about 40-50mph on a 2-lane curvy road. None of the failures are related to each other, except by "loss of comms". BTW, the forced shutdown means no power brakes, no power steering...nothing. All of these occurred at the same time. And they were all false (truck started right back up and ran for months without issue).

Trouble Code Report

ECU Code Type Status Description
Antilock braking system C1280 Chassis Confirmed Yaw Rate Sensor Signal Fault
Instrument Cluster B1318 Body Confirmed Right Front Door Ajar Switch
Instrument Cluster B2097 Body Confirmed Compass Module Failure
Instrument Cluster U0208 Network Confirmed Lost Communication With Seat Control Module A
Instrument Cluster U2013 Network Confirmed Switch Pack
Instrument Cluster U1900 Network Confirmed (CAN) Communication Bus Fault - Receive Error
Instrument Cluster B1601 Body Confirmed At some time since last clear a (PATS) key used was not programmed for the module.
Powertrain Control Module P0600 PowerTrain Confirmed Serial Communication Link
Powertrain Control Module P2105 PowerTrain Confirmed Throttle Actuator Control System - Forced Engine Shutdown
Restraint Control Module B1318 Body Confirmed Right Front Door Ajar Switch

Thanks for the info bobmbx. I'm hoping it's not the ECM. And the shop didnt pull any codes except one I already knew about for a tire pressure sensor fault.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I highly doubt the wrong filter could do it.

I have seen filters give little to no pressure of fluid and not or hardly move, seen them clog up and shift really late and higher speed after surging , but never lock up the trans or wheels.

If anything, the speed sensor replacement would be more likely to be the fix, if it ends up being fixed.

OP
OP
M

MBK2019

Reaction score
Alright so for the late update but heres what's been going on. Got the truck back from the shop last Thursday. Everything was great until yesterday. Drove to the store, went in for about 20-30 mins, came out crunk up, put it in drive, let off the brake and felt a big jerk. Truck went into limp mode. Turn it off, crunk it up, no change, still in limp mode. No power could tell it was trying to go but it wouldn't. Turned it off again crunk it up and it was fine. Drove about 3 miles, stopped at a restaurant to eat, went in for about 30 mins, came out, went to pull on the road and same thing again. Had to restart it a couple times before it straightened out. No DTCs during this time. After I got it going, didn't have any problems the drive home, about 30 mins. Drove to work this morning, no issues. Driving home this afternoon, about 15 mins in to a 30 min drive all the gauges on the dash shut down, cruise cuts off and goes in to limp mode again. Pulled over and had to restart 3 times before it came out of limp mode. One time I crunk it and the speedometer jumped up to like 40 mph and wouldn't come back down. Also something I did find...I changed the spark plugs the other day, one of the springs on cylinder 7 was not attached to the metal inside the coil, I reattached it..not sure if that had anything to do with anything just thought it was strange. I'm guess I'm back to the drawing board and thinking this is something electronic somewhere. Any other help on trying to narrow it down is appreciated.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well I would start back with some basics. Take off the battery cables clean them really well with a wire brush make sure they're clean and tight. Pull all the Maxi fuses out and reseat them in the fuse block and also the relays. Specifically look in the owner's manual for the brainbox computer relays. Either call ECU or ecm or whatever they want to call them now. Check ones for ignition and for computer and pull them up and reseat them. Find your main ground cable and make sure it is not loose.

OP
OP
M

MBK2019

Reaction score
Thanks. I'll try all that today. I did drive it again this morning. Seems like things are finally coming to head and getting more frequent. Again about 15 mins in I lost power and speedometer went to 0, digital display showed dashes with no info. I was at a red light turned it off and back on, no change. Started to take off from red light, no power while accelerating but about about 10 secs it regained power, RPM gauge was working but still no speedometer.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm going out on a limb here, but with the heavy corrosion in your positive cable, I would eliminate it completely from battery, all the way to starter with new ones. We've had a few here that had strange issues kinda like yours, but different in some ways. On these vehicles, the corrosion gets into the strands of cable itself. The other thing I'd probably do first, even before cables, is replace your ignition switch, the electrical part. A tell tale sign of a failing switch is the dash lights going on/off, like your experiencing.

OP
OP
M

MBK2019

Reaction score
I'm going out on a limb here, but with the heavy corrosion in your positive cable, I would eliminate it completely from battery, all the way to starter with new ones. We've had a few here that had strange issues kinda like yours, but different in some ways. On these vehicles, the corrosion gets into the strands of cable itself. The other thing I'd probably do first, even before cables, is replace your ignition switch, the electrical part. A tell tale sign of a failing switch is the dash lights going on/off, like your experiencing.

I'm guessing when u say the electrical part that's just what the ignition plugs in to? Not the part where I would need to replace the keys and all?

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The part right behind the key tumbler assembly. They don't blow out often, and theirs a bunch of tests, one of our regulars with a nice computer can post it for you. But their relatively cheap to purchase, and easy to change. You may have other issues, but from the symptoms your describing, that's where I'd go next if I was working on this vehicle.

OP
OP
M

MBK2019

Reaction score
Well...not what I really wanted to do but I took it over to the dealership yesterday afternoon. I'm so busy with work I don't have any time to be throwing parts at it so hopefully they will be able to narrow it down. With all the crazy stuff going on I'm of course expecting the worse which may be like a few on here have said and it being the ECM. I'm sure thru the dealership that's going to be a couple grand. I've researched and have found some OEM ones online that say they will program them by sending them my VIN. Question is if this does end up being the issue has anyone ever bought any online? What's the best place to go? Plug and go or will there be other things that need to be done? How hard is it to install? Or should I just bite the bullet and let the dealership do it.

I may be getting ahead of myself I just want to get some info before I get that call. And of course they are running about 3 days behind so it could be Friday before they can even look at it.