2000 xlt 200,000 miles bad trans worth fixing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hikingkayaker

Reaction score
A co-workers 2000 expedition transmission went out and her husband bought her a newer SUV. They are lifelong friends of mine and he told me, get it out if the driveway and its yours. Looks like will be over 3 grand for transmission rebuild. Wife and i have been discussing adding some minor off-road camping to our hiking and backpacking trips. Is this a good vehicle to drop money into or pass and keep searching. I realize this is an expedition forum and people love their vehicles, just looking for some honest answers from people who know the vehicles not just blowing smoke . Thanks in advance.

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
some honest answers from people who know the vehicles not just blowing smoke
Do they have any kind of maintanence log? Maybye at least tell you about what has been (and has not been) done to the vehicle? The only thing you have given us to go on is the trans needs.
So If the rest of truck in good condition and has had good maintanence then yes definatly a good buy.
These trucks with the Triton engines are work horses if the have been treated right.

If you do get it it is very important that if the spark plugs are changed they must be tighened correctly or they will bl0w out. (do them yourself) Mechanic shops will not do them right.

NOTE: If you do get it and something happens right after you fix trans, do you want that ill will with your neighbor? might not be worth it just for that fact.

Good luck

OP
OP
H

Hikingkayaker

Reaction score
They have log and taken good care if the engine. I am thinking (which is usually dangerous ) that with todays prices even if engine don't last will have 10 grand in it. Now sure would spend more making it back country ready. Just didnt want to be jumping into an endless pit of problems with no light at the end of the tunnel. As far as beef over anything with our friends..its free so my own doing if jump in.

zfifty

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Looks like will be over 3 grand for transmission rebuild. Wife and i have been discussing adding some minor off-road camping to our hiking and backpacking trips. Is this a good vehicle to drop money into or pass and keep searching.

Transmission failure is probably the main reason I see 1rst generation expeditions in the auto salvage yards. The cost to repair is often more than the book value of the vehicle. $3000 is a little on the high end I would think for the rebuild of the transmission seeing around here more at the 2 grand average. If you are unable to do basic repairs I would say for you to keep searching. Otherwise if everything else mechanical is in good condition, it could be a good deal for you seeing as that is all you would have in it and if it will be used as a secondary vehicle for off road use. These vehicles are very dependable if properly maintained, You did not mention the mileage on the expedition you are considering but I have 300,000 miles on my 1998 XLT. Keep in mind, the expeditions of that era are gas guzzlers and with the price of gas these days that could be a considerable cost. As for me, I have been very pleased with my stable of 1rst gens and my cost has been minimal compared to other used vehicles and especially new vehicles.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
A 200,000 mile truck will continue to develop problems that cost money to fix. These trucks warp exhaust manifolds, rot out steering boxes and develop head gasket leaks on the right side. Eventually you will be faced with one of these problems.

Your choice has to be based on what you can afford. If you can't afford a newer truck, this may be the best you can do. Otherwise, buy the best you can afford. While a 22 year old vehicle may be cheap, you will suffer larger repair bills, and reduced dependability. Is it worth it?

Only you can decide what you are willing to save to take on these headaches.

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
There are several for sale that are running for $3000-$4000 w decent mileage.

OP
OP
H

Hikingkayaker

Reaction score
Thank you, a lot to consider for sure. I know it will never be worth the money i have in it. The 20,000 dollar used market scares me also..i am not a kid 55 years old so am facing father time in all of this too....backpacking sure has less involved lol.

Samuel Jewell

Reaction score
I personally feel that if the truck is pretty nice otherwise it would be worth 2-3 grand(my '98 was 2K with a 2yr warranty and one free service). Yes, other issues may arise but that may(will) happen with any vehicle. I feel the older models will take way more off-roading than the newer ones. My opinion, worth what you paid, your mileage may vary.......

zfifty

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A co-workers 2000 expedition transmission went out and her husband bought her a newer SUV. They are lifelong friends of mine and he told me, get it out if the driveway and its yours.
Just wondering what y'all decided. if you passed sure some members who are near you, on the forum, would be willing to buy it, if he sells it for scrap value.

OP
OP
H

Hikingkayaker

Reaction score
Ended up picking it up yesterday, the transmission isn't out had a broken transmission line. I put in some fluid moved it around,no burnt smell. My next step i am going to pull the pan and check inside to take a look if damaged.