2003 5.4L EB starter issue and location

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

veeates

Reaction score
The 128k truck is slow at starting and at times does not with only clicking sound. Battery is at 12v and with alternator 14v, so that looks good. Is there anything else I might be missing before I start with the starter? Is there a walkthrough(pics, howto, etc) on here or net? Where is the starter located? Thanks in advance.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
the started is located under the engine near the flywheel housing

I would start by checking all of the wiring at the battery and at the starter for any signs of looseness, corrosion etc.

Also keep in mind that the starter relay is part of the circuit board inside of the fuse block. (smart Junction box). There have been many issues with relays going bad on the circuit board and normally are not user replaceable. Not saying that is your problem but its possible
Check the wiring as I mentioned first.

OP
OP
veeates

veeates

Reaction score
starter

Lets hope is not the circuit board. The battery connection all look good. I will check the starter wires and condition next. Thanks for the tips.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You may see reference to a fuel pump drivers module Don't worry the 03 expy's don't have that module as it was only in the 05 and 06 expeditions

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Connections can look good but are high in resistance. Better to let the tools tell you what condition they are in.

See the link in the electrical section on voltage drop testing if you are unsuccessful in getting it to start.

OP
OP
veeates

veeates

Reaction score
solution

I went under to look at the starter and the red cap was still on..no corrosion, connections clean and tight. I decided to take the battery for a full check and came about bad..I guess it was the internal CCAs?..got a new free replacement battery (which had warranty till March 2015) and PRESTO! Thanks everyone.