2003 Ford Expedition Lift Gate Won't Open After Being In The Shop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gigi

Reaction score
Took car to shop because SES and alternator lights were coming on. 2 days later I picked up car and was handed an invoice for $2400 for an oil change I didn't need (oil was changed a week earlier), a PCV hose, vent hose, a new alternator and brand spanking new front & rear pads and rotors. Today, I attempted to open my lift gate and it won't open. Glass opens fine and you can hear the lift gate unlock but it's stuck.

Took car back to shop thinking they might have some idea what had happened and now they want another $425 to fix the lift gate. Lift gate was working fine when I took the car in last week. There are 92,500 miles on the vehicle.

Any suggestions, thoughts, constructive criticism would be greatly appreciated.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Buy some tools and work on it yourself. I'm hoping you didn't pay $2400 as stated for that work.

OP
OP
G

Gigi

Reaction score
Any ideas about the lift gate?

Sorry, that's not an option for me, I know nothing about auto mechanics. And yes I did pay $2400 less the oil change I didn't need. The brake job alone cost $1100. Could the lift gate problem be a coincidence or is there a real possibility it might have been damaged by the shop? Is $425 a reasonable rate to fix it?

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
$1100 for a brake job is a rip-off. I would find a different shop if I were you.

Any of there charges seem unreasonable to me. To give you a price of $425 to fix the lift gate and not know what is wrong seems un-real.

What did they charge for the Alternator?

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Once you change your thinking from "can't do" to "can do" we can show you how to save a bunch of money and learn some things in the process so that these sheet heads stop taking advantage of you.
When you are ready I'll look for videos for you.

2004XLT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Moral of the story is find a new mechanic..if you choose to work on the liftgate yourself I can explain to you how to remove the interior panel to access the mechanism.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not trying to insult you But I think some of your story is missing.

You took it to the shop because the "SES and alternator lights were coming on"
those lights have nothing to do with the brake system or oil system otherwise you would have had a ABS or OIL warning lights come on. What was the shops reason for doing the brakes and changing the oil?

Did you authorize them to do the brake work and oil change?

OP
OP
G

Gigi

Reaction score
Alternator Cost, shop authorizations etc.

After the shop checked the car over, they called my husband and said we needed new brakes. Yes, the brake job was authorized: parts $796 and labor $394. The charge for the alternator was: parts $332 and labor: $262. We did not authorize an oil change and the shop removed that charge. As far as the lift gate quote is concerned, the $425 is to replace an actuator: $157 for parts, $205 for labor.

We know nothing about cars and want to keep the vehicle as long as possible, but these charges are outrageous and we cannot figure out why the lift gate worked fine before the shop did the repair work and why it doesn't now.

If you have videos, please send them my way. Not sure if I could do the repair, but I want to be open minded.

Lostneye

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Bottom line is you need to find a new shop. You are being overcharged. I just priced out new rotors and pads on Ford's website and LIST process are less than $600 and less than $350 retail on Rockauto.com for motorcraft pads and rotors.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had to replace my alternator this past summer Cost was no more than $120 and the labor was free I do my own work. The prices you were charged were most likely LIST PRICE for parts.

As to the lift gate I can't see any reason for the shop to be in the lift gate area based on the work preformed And that would be a reason for them to say they weren't in that area. However I would not rule out something being done to cause the lift gate not to operate in order to get more work from you. JUST my opinion.