2007 engine blew up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dustindu4

Reaction score
2007 Expedition Limited, 120k miles. Fuel injector went bad and got stuck and then cylinder 2 had 50% compression until the motor hatched altogether. Ford wants $9400 for a new engine installed, not happening. I found somebody to put a motor in for me and I don't want to use a salvage motor with 100k miles on it.

Looking for a remanufactured motor. Has this happened to anybody else and which brand motor did you use? I'm looking to get something on order very soon.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That price is crazy. We have an old company truck E-350 and had a brand new crate 3 valve 5.4 put in for 6 grand with a ford warranty. We had our local trusted mechanic do it, Ford gave it a 36,000 mile warranty since it was done by our guy and not theirs but we were happy with our mechanics price. That dealer is smoking crack. Go price around and ask what mechanics want to put in a new Long Block from Ford. that’s pretty unusual out of a modular V8 to tank like that at such low mileage but anything can happen.

Last edited:

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2007 Expedition Limited, 120k miles. Fuel injector went bad and got stuck and then cylinder 2 had 50% compression until the motor hatched altogether. Ford wants $9400 for a new engine installed, not happening. I found somebody to put a motor in for me and I don't want to use a salvage motor with 100k miles on it.

Looking for a remanufactured motor. Has this happened to anybody else and which brand motor did you use? I'm looking to get something on order very soon.

Are you sure it's that far gone?

Some shops and dealers are quite brazen in "upselling" repairs

OP
OP
D

dustindu4

Reaction score
Are you sure it's that far gone?

Some shops and dealers are quite brazen in "upselling" repairs

Oh no it's toast. They told me I could drive it away and I didn't make it out of the parking lot. The sounds that engine made before it died were the sounds of death. Sounded like shaking a tin can of bolts and stopped running. What I don't buy is their explanation of what happened, because they didn't tear the head off or anything, but either way the engine is done. What I believe happened is the cylinder partially hydrolocked from a stuck open fuel injector, bent the rod and damaged the piston ring. Ford said it wasn't the head because it didn't have any codes for cam stuff (which I verified), they were convinced it was the short block assy.

What I actually discovered is there are basically 3 engine options. For all 3 the labor to install is about the same: $2k

1) used motor with 100k miles, 30 day warranty. Doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy. $2k I would do this if I wanted to flip the car immediately. But I can't afford a new one for $70k so I will keep driving this one until something else major happens.

2) Remanufactured motors that range from $3300 (Advanced Powertrain) to $4700 (Jasper). All these motors come in various degrees of assembly, some come with or without valve covers, timing belt covers, oil pan and sensors. All of these have 3 year/100k warranty that covers labor, but if you do a little research on the warranties, there is nothing but horror stories out there. I would almost lean towards option 1.

3) Ford actually sells their own remanufactured engines with 3 year/ unlimited mile warranties for $5200 list, but I can get it from Tasca Ford for $4200. I might be able to get it for less. Plus an $800 core charge. Ford's warranty for me would be a lot more comforting. What is more interesting is that the dealer said I could get a new engine, but I found they were not available. The reman is all you can get.

So I am leaning towards option 3. For 6k I can get a decent engine installed. I don't have the time or energy to attempt it myself, but I think I could do it if my garage wasn't 10 degrees right now. So basically I'm looking at around $6k.

The truck still looks good and everything else works, so it's hard to just throw it away. Wife loves it and I'm not buying a 2018, so I might as well spend the cash to keep it for now. I need a truck I can tow with, going with a less expensive new smaller SUV isn't worth it. I need the size

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dustindu4

Reaction score
. that’s pretty unusual out of a modular V8 to tank like that at such low mileage but anything can happen.

They said it was unusual, usually the timing chain is what does it. But a stuck fuel injector will do it too. I found another forum where people said it happened to them, some with a lot less mileage too.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Something to consider, since you are swapping engines, is to swap in a new torque converter and trans pump seal - you are already there.

Also inspect the ring gear and flexplate.

A stuck open fuel injector will relieve pressure on the fuel rail. Each time you start the engine the fuel pump will reprime the fuel rail before starting. You would notice it wasn't starting quickly.

A shaking can of bolts sound can be the timing chains or engine being starved from oil.

Sounds more like the diagnosis was of the dart board variety.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dustindu4

Reaction score
A stuck open fuel injector will relieve pressure on the fuel rail. Each time you start the engine the fuel pump will reprime the fuel rail before starting. You would notice it wasn't starting quickly.

It took 5-10 seconds of turning the key to get it to turn over so you're onto something. Then it would run ok for a few seconds and slowly sputter worse and worse until it stopped.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh no it's toast. They told me I could drive it away and I didn't make it out of the parking lot. The sounds that engine made before it died were the sounds of death. Sounded like shaking a tin can of bolts and stopped running. What I don't buy is their explanation of what happened, because they didn't tear the head off or anything, but either way the engine is done. What I believe happened is the cylinder partially hydrolocked from a stuck open fuel injector, bent the rod and damaged the piston ring. Ford said it wasn't the head because it didn't have any codes for cam stuff (which I verified), they were convinced it was the short block assy.

What I actually discovered is there are basically 3 engine options. For all 3 the labor to install is about the same: $2k

1) used motor with 100k miles, 30 day warranty. Doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy. $2k I would do this if I wanted to flip the car immediately. But I can't afford a new one for $70k so I will keep driving this one until something else major happens.

2) Remanufactured motors that range from $3300 (Advanced Powertrain) to $4700 (Jasper). All these motors come in various degrees of assembly, some come with or without valve covers, timing belt covers, oil pan and sensors. All of these have 3 year/100k warranty that covers labor, but if you do a little research on the warranties, there is nothing but horror stories out there. I would almost lean towards option 1.

3) Ford actually sells their own remanufactured engines with 3 year/ unlimited mile warranties for $5200 list, but I can get it from Tasca Ford for $4200. I might be able to get it for less. Plus an $800 core charge. Ford's warranty for me would be a lot more comforting. What is more interesting is that the dealer said I could get a new engine, but I found they were not available. The reman is all you can get.

So I am leaning towards option 3. For 6k I can get a decent engine installed. I don't have the time or energy to attempt it myself, but I think I could do it if my garage wasn't 10 degrees right now. So basically I'm looking at around $6k.

The truck still looks good and everything else works, so it's hard to just throw it away. Wife loves it and I'm not buying a 2018, so I might as well spend the cash to keep it for now. I need a truck I can tow with, going with a less expensive new smaller SUV isn't worth it. I need the size

I'm pretty sure you can still get new long blocks just not a complete unit. meaning you'd have to do alternator swap etc...

Last edited:

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A professional mechanic would scope the cylinder(s) in question looking for damaged cylinder wall(s) and a really clean piston top(s). I would also pull both valve covers and inspect the cam lobes for signs of oil starvation. Once you have that info you can usually deduce the shape the motor is really in.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ford wants $6,060 for a new long block 5.4L engine, way up from before. Id go with their reman. I'd go with the Ford Reman Unit because you know they did it right, and rebuilt everything with OEM up to date parts, and stand behind it. You're basically getting a new engine with their redos just in an used block.