2011 engine rebuild advice...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I bought a 2011 Expedition from a guy yesterday and it ran as smooth as silk. FAST forward to today.. started with a knock in the lower part of the motor. Does anyone have any idea what it cost to have one rebuilt?

Attachments

• Resized_20210921_161445.jpg
    Resized_20210921_161445.jpg
    266.5 KB · Views: 11

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How many miles on the motor ? Change the oil and use a synthetic 10w-30 or 40 oil and Motorcraft oil filter ( Walmart ). Any check engine lights or codes?

positivemojo

Reaction score
It could be the timing chain. It will definitely cause a knock and impact engine performance. I redid mine and it not only cured the knock but also has better performance than when it was new.

It is easy to troubleshoot. Remove the valve covers and inspect the timing chain. If it is loose, then get it fixed. Also examine the rocker arms to see if any are broken or out of place.

I'd advise not putting it off. If it is a rocker arm it can be easily fixed, and if you don't it can destroy your car. If it is the timing chain it's a bit more expensive but in my opinion worth it.

Here is a video on how to fix your own timing chain. This is part 1 of 4.

positivemojo

Reaction score
Yes. Cam phasers can be a major culprit. I replaced mine. I recommend buying new phasers from Ford. I examined phasers from other manufacturers and there is definitely a quality difference.

But... when I tore everything down I discovered that the lousy paper gasket used on the tensioner blew out which took the tension off my timing chains. I replaced with a high quality Cloyes timing kit.