2016 / 2017 Sync 3.4 Success?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Honu

Reaction score
Who was charging for it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I'm new to this forum. I actually found the forum looking for exactly this information. Problem is, I can't get the Ford website to download the update. Nothing happens. So.....to make a boring story short, I think my simplest route is to let Ford do it.
Mine doesn't have Nav, but since my preference is Android Auto, I don't care. But on my '16 Limited, is 3.4 the version I want. Mine currently has 1.0 and no Android Auto.
I hope this isn't hijacking a thread.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
Threads and links here seen to indicate you have to progressively update from 1.0 thru the 2-series until you get to 3.0 and then 3.4. The link earlier show details. I'm gonna try upping my 3.0 to 3.4 as soon as I can get some cheap USB pen chips.

-- Chuck

OP
OP
G213

G213

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Gotta be the NiM. You deal with the fancy English or turn it off. If you do, and it switches to US I would love to know. Just to close the loop.

Absolutely, will give it a shot and let you know.

OP
OP
G213

G213

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Threads and links here seen to indicate you have to progressively update from 1.0 thru the 2-series until you get to 3.0 and then 3.4. The link earlier show details. I'm gonna try upping my 3.0 to 3.4 as soon as I can get some cheap USB pen chips.

-- Chuck

Chuck-

Just a heads up; I actually had to use my "good" USB flash drives to make this work properly. I have some freebie and off-brand drives that wouldn't even start the installation process. But as soon as a used a name brand drive like a Kingston or SanDisk, it worked perfectly.

For reference, the cheapo drives I tried included a free gift that was given out at the MicroCenter cash register a few years ago. It works fine on PCs, but wouldn't start the installation process in the truck.

I also tried some larger USB flash drives that I had lying around, but they are 128GB and USB 3.0. This prevented me from formatting the drive properly to FAT32.

I then used my Kingston DataTraveler 32GB USB 2.0 drive and it worked like a charm.

I think PCs are much more tolerant of cheapo devices than the trucks. My suggestion would be to purchase some moderately sized (32GB or so) name brand USB 2.0 drives. For this project, the truck can't take advantage of USB 3.0, so no reason to buy such a flash drive. I also suspect USB 3.0 drives may be more likely to cause strange issues like the one I had, but they vary so much in hardware and quality it's difficult to say exactly what will or won't work.

This is the exact drive I used...$5.99 on Amazon. https://amzn.to/36gKYNd

Last edited:

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You can go from 1.X to 3.0 with no issue, I have done it several times.

Since the 3.4 process includes the Format tool, really doesn’t matter what version honestly.

I went from 2.2 to 3.4 on one. Wasn’t expecting the unit to have such an old version...gave it a swing and it worked. No issues.

CyanLabs instructions are officially only for 3.0-3.4...so if you want to stay within the box, going from 3.0 to 3.4 is the recommended path.

G213 is dead on Correct, I have always had much better luck with Good USB2.0 drives. 2 things in play. Drivers, and quality of chips. Some of the newer 3.0 flash drives use chipsets that windows has no issue with, but QNX might have issues with. I think that comes into play. I also think the cheap drives use off brand chipsets that yet again QNX has issue with.

I have used large (128GB or greater) a couple of times. EXTFAT can be used in the place of FAT32 for this process or any Sync Update.

I am a Tech Geek and have a RIDICULOUS number of flash drives laying around! So I have a few I avoid, and a few I prefer. My 16GB PNY USB 2.0’s that I have 3 of are my goto’s for this.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
Thanks G and Loki et al --

The lil' recommended drives are cheap enough on Amazon and 3 are enroute. I have plenty of 32G micro SD cards for my Raspberry Pi4s along with USB adapters but 6 bucks each for flash drives known to work it's not worth fooling around with trying to use them.

-- Chuck

creef14

Full Access Members
Reaction score
just did this today following the CyanLabs method. first install took about 5 mins, it took 30 mins for the 19101, and about 15 mins for the 19274; so a little under an hour total. The updates did delete all my BTs so adding those back probably put right around an hour total time

excited to have maps that are somewhat recent...the other changes appear mostly cosmetic, am I overlooking any substantive changes from moving to 3.4?

Last edited:
OP
OP
G213

G213

Full Access Members
Reaction score
just did this today following the CyanLabs method. first, install took about 5 mins, it took 30 mins for the 19101, and about 15 mins for the 19274; so a little under an hour total. The updates did delete all my BTs so adding those back probably put right around an hour total time

excited to have maps that are somewhat recent...the other changes appear mostly cosmetic, am I overlooking any substantive changes from moving to 3.4?

None that I can think of. You should now have updated maps, station icons (Sirius) and Gracenote databases. Under the hood, there are some new boot screens for upcoming models such as the Bronco.* (You need ForScan to access those) Aside from that, I think it's cosmetic.

*Some of the content in this new version (including boot screens for upcoming models) are under a press embargo. Please do not post pictures or videos of these boot screens. FoMoCo's legal department has contacted other sites with cease and desist orders to remove similar posts.

Ghostwolf

Reaction score
I successfully upgraded from 3.0 to 3.4 today using the instructions on the Cyanlab link near the start of this thread.

Observations:
  • Once you get 3.4.19101 installed, make sure to do the suggested factory reset. If you don't, some of your settings won't migrate over cleanly and can result in funky behavior.
  • As long as you store each downloaded Sync version separately on your laptop/desktop, you can easily get away with two drives. After I installed 3.4.19101, I cleared that flash drive and copied 3.4.19274 down to it for the second install. Technically, you could do this on one key drive, clearing the reformat (first, short install) and copying 3.4.19101 to the same drive. The system can't boot after that reformat and will wait for a key drive with an install on it forever. Having two or three certainly saves trips between your computer and Expedition, but it's not a requirement.
  • It looks like 3.4 enables a lot more FordPass functionality over the Bluetooth connection than 3.0 had. On my 2016, even a USB connection enabled little more than vehicle information in FordPass; in 3.4 there's a lot more to play with.
2016 Upgrade Path

Sync activity since I bought my 2016 Platinum two months ago:
  • Updated from Sync 3 1.0 to 3.0 (downloads from Ford)
  • Upgraded to AirPlay-enabled USB hub
  • Updated from 3.0 to 3.4.19101 (downloads from Cyanlab; link here)
  • Updated to 3.4.19274 (downloads from Cyanlab; link here)
Note that my 2016 came with Sync 3 (version 1) from the factory. 2016 Expeditions with Sync 2.x (four quadrant screen) are SOL.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I successfully upgraded from 3.0 to 3.4 today using the instructions on the Cyanlab link near the start of this thread.

Observations:
  • Once you get 3.4.19101 installed, make sure to do the suggested factory reset. If you don't, some of your settings won't migrate over cleanly and can result in funky behavior.
  • As long as you store each downloaded Sync version separately on your laptop/desktop, you can easily get away with two drives. After I installed 3.4.19101, I cleared that flash drive and copied 3.4.19274 down to it for the second install. Technically, you could do this on one key drive, clearing the reformat (first, short install) and copying 3.4.19101 to the same drive. The system can't boot after that reformat and will wait for a key drive with an install on it forever. Having two or three certainly saves trips between your computer and Expedition, but it's not a requirement.
  • It looks like 3.4 enables a lot more FordPass functionality over the Bluetooth connection than 3.0 had. On my 2016, even a USB connection enabled little more than vehicle information in FordPass; in 3.4 there's a lot more to play with.
2016 Upgrade Path

Sync activity since I bought my 2016 Platinum two months ago:
  • Updated from Sync 3 1.0 to 3.0 (downloads from Ford)
  • Upgraded to AirPlay-enabled USB hub
  • Updated from 3.0 to 3.4.19101 (downloads from Cyanlab; link here)
  • Updated to 3.4.19274 (downloads from Cyanlab; link here)
Note that my 2016 came with Sync 3 (version 1) from the factory. 2016 Expeditions with Sync 2.x (four quadrant screen) are SOL.

Clarity, No 2016’s had Sync 2. That was 2015.

Do not need to do a factory reset between, just a reboot.