2016 / 2017 Sync 3.4 Success?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ghostwolf

Reaction score
Clarity, No 2016’s had Sync 2. That was 2015.

When I was shopping for my Expedition, one point of comparison was Sync level. Of the 2016s I found, about 1/3rd had “Sync w/MyFord Touch”. This is how it was noted on the original window sticker.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
When I was shopping for my Expedition, one point of comparison was Sync level. Of the 2016s I found, about 1/3rd had “Sync w/MyFord Touch”. This is how it was noted on the original window sticker.

Yep, Not Sync 2. That is the smaller screen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Michael McC

Reaction score
Picking up the pieces of this conversation, and asking questions...

On my 2016...

I remember an afternoon or two of frustration getting to Sync 3.0, so I am very reticent to try to upgrade. If I do this through CyanLabs, will I lose 911 assist? Do I need to upgrade my USB first? If so, how? Where do I get the parts? Will I be on a bootleg Euro system? What are the benefits, if I always go to Google Maps anyway since the Nav function on the Sync map sometimes chooses routes that are hours longer?

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
Looking forward to the upgrade next week. Be interesting if the routing gets as good as my Garmins. Still running a dash-top Garmin GPS in tandem with the Sync navigation system because the Garmin frequently has better routing around traffic and in general. Sync and Garmin disagree? Go with the Garmin. Probably because they update the maps several times a year vs a few times a decade...

-- Chuck

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Picking up the pieces of this conversation, and asking questions...

On my 2016...

I remember an afternoon or two of frustration getting to Sync 3.0, so I am very reticent to try to upgrade. If I do this through CyanLabs, will I lose 911 assist? Do I need to upgrade my USB first? If so, how? Where do I get the parts? Will I be on a bootleg Euro system? What are the benefits, if I always go to Google Maps anyway since the Nav function on the Sync map sometimes chooses routes that are hours longer?

Lose 911, No. That was because one of the posters made the Nav in Motion tweak. It has other consequences.

If you want CarPlay to work on a 2016 you need the newer Hub, no matter the version of Sync 3.

Swap it out. You need the part number from 2017 Expy. Sorry, I do not know it. I have a 17. Swapped out the one in my Edge, cause it was a 16. Not sure if the part numbers are the same.

No, the files on CyanLabs for download are the US legit files, no bootleg. They were just gotten and released before their official release. Also, there is a good chance that the Earlier than 19 Sync Systems will never be officially updated via Ford to 3.4. Since the process is more involved.

If you aren’t sure about this update, you probably shouldn’t try it.

Michael McC

Reaction score
Lose 911, No. That was because one of the posters made the Nav in Motion tweak. It has other consequences.

If you want CarPlay to work on a 2016 you need the newer Hub, no matter the version of Sync 3.

Swap it out. You need the part number from 2017 Expy. Sorry, I do not know it. I have a 17. Swapped out the one in my Edge, cause it was a 16. Not sure if the part numbers are the same.

No, the files on CyanLabs for download are the US legit files, no bootleg. They were just gotten and released before their official release. Also, there is a good chance that the Earlier than 19 Sync Systems will never be officially updated via Ford to 3.4. Since the process is more involved.

If you aren’t sure about this update, you probably shouldn’t try it.

Thank you. Nothing about this excites me, so I'm gonna pass! Thanks for your efforts on this site. I think you helped me with the first Sync upgrade.

Dorzak

Full Access Members
Reaction score

There are at least 3 versions of the hub, possibly 4

2 USB port has a Ford and Lincoln version with different LED colors

I do not know if the 1 USB port version has a Lincoln version or not.

The one port version is for vehicles that have a USB port elsewhere in the dash as well. Supposed to be same size physically for both.

OP
OP
G213

G213

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is the part number for the updated USB module you need to swap out on a 2016.

HC3Z-19A387-B

Simple install; you pop the clips on the old one, remove plugs. Plug into new hub, snap into place.