2017 3.5l ecoboost Expedition, any known issues?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We don’t have mountains in Michigan. I’m rubbing a 13,000 mile tour right now and I’m out west for half of that...literally california, Arizona, Oregon, Washington, all over. And yes they actually have some serious mountain passes here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
It's indisputable the 3.5 EcoBoost has more power AND gets better mileage running higher octane than 87. Perfect is the enemy of Good Enough which, for my applications including a 5000 pound trailer crossing the eastern mountains, 87 octane is Good Enough.

93 octane stays 60¢/gallon more expensive then 87 octane here in Richmond. The differential never seems to change. (My other car requires premium unleaded so I'm painfully aware of the price difference!) 87 is about $2.25 this week and 93 running a little high at $2.97, or 33% more expensive. To run this all the time would only be economic if it produced the same 33% more miles per gallon which ain't gonna happen so that eliminates the "economy" advantage.

Nice to know there's extra power available albeit at a substantial cost increase. If needed.

-- Chuck

WifeyExpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's indisputable the 3.5 EcoBoost has more power AND gets better mileage running higher octane than 87. Perfect is the enemy of Good Enough which, for my applications including a 5000 pound trailer crossing the eastern mountains, 87 octane is Good Enough.

93 octane stays 60¢/gallon more expensive then 87 octane here in Richmond. The differential never seems to change. (My other car requires premium unleaded so I'm painfully aware of the price difference!) 87 is about $2.25 this week and 93 running a little high at $2.97, or 33% more expensive. To run this all the time would only be economic if it produced the same 33% more miles per gallon which ain't gonna happen so that eliminates the "economy" advantage.

Nice to know there's extra power available albeit at a substantial cost increase. If needed.

-- Chuck
Remember when each grade was 10¢ higher than the previous?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

hueyf4i

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Remember when each grade was 10¢ higher than the previous?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Remember when 87 was 99 cents a gallon.......(I was born in 81).

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Sgt Darkness

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Getting 17.5 around town in the 18 Expy, 3.73 gears and tow pack. Got 22.0 on a recent trip running reg unleaded with cruise at 65. My Silverado V8 gets almost identical numbers but is lighter than the Expy also.

Sgt Darkness

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Remember when 87 was 99 cents a gallon.......(I was born in 81).

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

When I first started driving in '68 gas stayed at .25 per gallon. I would put in 4 dollars which was 16 gallons in the GTO and could drive close to 5 days. When the embargo hit in '73 gas jumped to .75 per gallon and everybody freaked out, and I got a '65 Beetle to drive. I miss the days of full service stations, "fill er up", and got the windows washed, tires and oil checked, AND the attendant always said THANK YOU PLEASE COME BACK. Now when you pay for gas you're lucky if the employee even looks at you while you pay for your gas and it's an odd day when they say THANK YOU........

Jamo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Nothing to do with this thread except the gas...When I was a kid (born in '54), my parents had a "Rollfast" tandem bike. A bud and I would ride that to the local gas station (about 1 mile away) for boat gas. The kid on the back seat would carry the 5 gallon boat can, and it was heavy and awkward on the bike. Never made the news though, always successful. Oh yeah, $.28/gal or so...

I'm torn between the V6 in the newer models and the V8 in the pre '15's. I still like the V8 and it seems to be the best for my budget. I'm going from a 2004 Tahoe LT with just under 200K to an EL. Under 100K for not more than $20K is my goal...

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nothing to do with this thread except the gas...When I was a kid (born in '54), my parents had a "Rollfast" tandem bike. A bud and I would ride that to the local gas station (about 1 mile away) for boat gas. The kid on the back seat would carry the 5 gallon boat can, and it was heavy and awkward on the bike. Never made the news though, always successful. Oh yeah, $.28/gal or so...

I'm torn between the V6 in the newer models and the V8 in the pre '15's. I still like the V8 and it seems to be the best for my budget. I'm going from a 2004 Tahoe LT with just under 200K to an EL. Under 100K for not more than $20K is my goal...

If your buying out of warranty and running it to or past 200k I’d go with the 5.4L V8.

Last edited: