2018 Expedition HD Tow pkg potential upgrades

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

5150 pops

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well ballzzzzzz!!!
I finally received what I thought was going to be a 4" catback exhaust. Opened the box, and thought it looked small. Took the protective wrap off one end, grabbed the measuring tape and what do you know...3"!!!
Dah ****!
Anyhoo, I'm grateful in an odd way that it isn't 4", since I'd really wanted to install it!

So I started this thread, because I felt I was sort hijacking another's thread regarding tuning.
Eventually I plan to...
4" cat back exhaust
SPD bored intake manifolds
SPD turbo adaptors
3" hi flow cat downpipe
Hugenormous intercooler
Boostmax/Pedalmax

I have a Setina center push bumper model PB400, on the way, I think it's about 1-2 weeks from getting here. They're built to order, mine is Aluminum, retains the OEM tow hooks.

edizzle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well ballzzzzzz!!!
I finally received what I thought was going to be a 4" catback exhaust. Opened the box, and thought it looked small. Took the protective wrap off one end, grabbed the measuring tape and what do you know...3"!!!
Dah ****!
Anyhoo, I'm grateful in an odd way that it isn't 4", since I'd really wanted to install it!

So I started this thread, because I felt I was sort hijacking another's thread regarding tuning.
Eventually I plan to...
4" cat back exhaust
SPD turbo adaptors
3" hi flow cat downpipe
Hugenormous intercooler
Boostmax/Pedalmax

I have a Setina center push bumper model PB400, on the way, I think it's about 1-2 weeks from getting here. They're built to order, mine is Aluminum, retains the OEM tow hooks.

damn why would you do all that and not get a real tune? would surely outperform the boostmax, pedal max

Mike Wolfe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well ballzzzzzz!!!
Dah ****!

Eventually I plan to...
4" cat back exhaust
SPD turbo adaptors
3" hi flow cat downpipe
Hugenormous intercooler
Boostmax/Pedalmax

Well I truly you hope see something significant from your sizeable investment
Remember that all that does does not recalibrate your transmission so I would be concerned about transmission durability
Really though you should get a tune designed to work with all of your upgrades that does indeed reprogram the trans to match the improved engine output

BTW
A stock pickup with 3:31 gears & 93 octane tune did
2. Dday0644 13.484 @ 100.12
-2017 SuperCrew 5.5' 4WD 3.31 10speed-
-MPT 93 Performance Tune-

3:73 gears in our EXPY would make for a lot quicker vehicle with the same calibration

Best of luck with all of your upgrades

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have you watched any YouTube videos on the SPD intake manifolds???

Why on earth would you want to spend that much money to loose so much torque??

OP
OP

5150 pops

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Based on the stock 3.5l ecoboost numbers on there.... and factoring 500 extra lbs for the expedition I'm saying 14.8 factory.
uple of things I'm not
Based on the stock 3.5l ecoboost numbers on there.... and factoring 500 extra lbs for the expedition I'm saying 14.8 factory.

Couple things I'm not sure you factored in...
Any 3.5 ET's from that link that are from Pre 2017 F-150 aren't really directly comparable.

The F-150 in 2017 received the same spec power train as we did in 2018.

The F-150 HD Tow pkg only gets 3.55 axle ratio vs 3.73 in Expedition. Granted a 3.73 ratio is available in the F150, just not with the rapid spec Hd Tow pkg.

Also very interesting to note was the fellow named Mark...
Update new time slips only difference from the [email protected] mph pass was 93 octane otherwise still Bone Stock and Traction Control off
His two runs with 93 octane gas as the only change were 14.33 and 14.34

OP
OP

5150 pops

Full Access Members
Reaction score
damn why would you do all that and not get a real tune? would surely outperform the boostmax, pedal max

Yes, I agree, but I'm not sold on what is currently available, it's almost a monopoly at the moment. I'm not saying I won't, end up with a tune, just that what is available vs. what I hope will soon be available...I can only comment on what IS available NOW. If by the time I decide to seek some type of fueling strategy change, and the current TWO companies that actually write to the ECU, are still the "only two in town" I'll do the aforementioned, and call it good enough.

Blackscreen67

Born to spool
Reaction score
uple of things I'm not

Couple things I'm not sure you factored in...
Any 3.5 ET's from that link that are from Pre 2017 F-150 aren't really directly comparable.

The F-150 in 2017 received the same spec power train as we did in 2018.

The F-150 HD Tow pkg only gets 3.55 axle ratio vs 3.73 in Expedition. Granted a 3.73 ratio is available in the F150, just not with the rapid spec Hd Tow pkg.

Also very interesting to note was the fellow named Mark...
Update new time slips only difference from the [email protected] mph pass was 93 octane otherwise still Bone Stock and Traction Control off
His two runs with 93 octane gas as the only change were 14.33 and 14.34

That Mark guys truck was the 2017 i was comparing too. The factory tuning for our ecoboost motors is really bad on a roll compared to from a dig. There are fueling limiter in place I can feel when toying around. I noticed in 10th gear the turbos like to spool around 1600rpm which is great for milege, but the spool is very large in every other gear except 1st.

OP
OP

5150 pops

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have you watched any YouTube videos on the SPD intake manifolds???

Why on earth would you want to spend that much money to loose so much torque??

LOL! That poor bastard was ripped off, and doesn't even know it. 12 hours labor??? Ok, sure.

The funny thing about dyno run comparison (even on the same Dyno) is if you don't make the tests back to back in similar conditions on the exact same day, the net difference is worthless. The only possible way this would not be the case, is if the Dyno was in an enclosed HVAC environment that took place with the vehicle stone cold, coming I to the room, and even then, I still have my doubts.
Another tidbit he conveniently left to the imagination was even though he claims it was cooler weather, than when the OEM parts were on the truck, there's no mention of exactly how much, nor humidity, barometric pressure, etc. How long had it been since he was on the same Dyno? If there had been significant time, and the shop had not confirmed the machine's calibration...
Again, if it had been a while since he had the truck on the Dyno, (hopefully it was in fact the exact same Dyno) and he's racked up miles, from the first tests (assuming the truck was nearly new) the plugs may not have been as fresh as they were the first time around.
Yes the plugs last a bazillion miles these days but most people who would rack up miles after a Dyno test usually put fresh plugs in before the next test, to minimize variances. What kind of fuel was he using, we're left to assume he would always drop top tier fuel in his truck, but there is absolutely no way no way to really know if he did or did not. Maybe 93 octane months prior, and shit poor 87 octane from the local gas n go?

Too much left to the imagination, in that video, and what I pointed out, is not a complete list, there's a crapton more but I digress.