2018 Expedition HD Tow pkg potential upgrades

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP

5150 pops

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well I truly you hope see something significant from your sizeable investment
Remember that all that does does not recalibrate your transmission so I would be concerned about transmission durability
Really though you should get a tune designed to work with all of your upgrades that does indeed reprogram the trans to match the improved engine output

BTW
A stock pickup with 3:31 gears & 93 octane tune did
2. Dday0644 13.484 @ 100.12
-2017 SuperCrew 5.5' 4WD 3.31 10speed-
-MPT 93 Performance Tune-
3:73 gears in our EXPY would make for a lot quicker vehicle with the same calibration

Best of luck with all of your upgrades

I'm sure recalibrated shift points would in all likelihood be a lot more pleasant to drive, however that would have zero bearing on longevity (IMHO).
It's not like I intend to increase the output of the engine anymore than MAYBE 80Hp and 80/lb-ft at the absolute max. So having the HD Tow pkg and all the upgraded ancillaries to keep the components in check, I don't have a concern for the 98% of the time the vehicle is ferrying me to and from work, nor the 1.75% I tow 6500lbs, or even the .25% I would take it to the dragstrip over the next 5 years.

OP
OP

5150 pops

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That Mark guys truck was the 2017 i was comparing too. The factory tuning for our ecoboost motors is really bad on a roll compared to from a dig. There are fueling limiter in place I can feel when toying around. I noticed in 10th gear the turbos like to spool around 1600rpm which is great for milege, but the spool is very large in every other gear except 1st.

My point was (at least as far as my Expedition is concerned) he's only got 3.55 rear, where I've got 3.73 and probably around the same additional weight you mentioned before, so me thinks it would be a wash.
From his signature...New truck 2017 Super Crew XL 4X4 STX Package 5 1/2' bed Bone Stock 3.5L Eco Boost 10 speed Automatic 3.55 gears 20" wheels [email protected] mph 2.14 60 ft.

edizzle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have you watched any YouTube videos on the SPD intake manifolds???

Why on earth would you want to spend that much money to loose so much torque??
those are exhaust manifolds.

also, i am not sure who in the hell would choose to upgrade the exhaust manifolds as the first upgrade!!! they would be best utilized with a multitude of other upgrades and a tune to tie it all together.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score

also, i am not sure who in the hell would choose to upgrade the exhaust manifolds as the first upgrade!!! they would be best utilized with a multitude of other upgrades and a tune to tie it all together.

Agreed but the stk exh manifolds on the 3.5 2nd or 3rd gen have very small passages(like half of your std 350 engine to compare). This was done as part of Fords solution to the dreaded "turbo-lag". By decreasing the size of the passages, it increases flow velocity which in turn, causes those twin turbos to begin producing positive boost very low on the RPM scale. To install manifolds that have larger openings may SEEM to be intuitive, it's not. They will prolong lag, will begin making usable boost at a higher rpm and can only be efficient at WFO.

Kind of like a 4 valve head, the benefits aren't really seen in terms of power until it's running at high RPM where breathing makes more of a difference.

jeff

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Not sure why I read Exhasut when reading your post. Maybe because every time I see something about SPD I think of that dude.

As for manifolds being a first mod it depends on you vehicle background and what you were coming from.
For many older Mustang folks full exhaust to include manifolds were the go to as the first thing to do.
He clearly does not have a ton of vehicle know how so anything is possible.

NyackRob79

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had no idea modding a 6000-lb minibus (let's be honest folks, it's a people mover), was a thing. I mean, to each their own. I just thought modding this truck for off-road was more appropriate than modding it for power.

I own a 2017 VW Golf R with stage 2 upgrades. 0-60 in 3.6 seconds.

I can't imagine what it would take to get this mammoth to accelerate that quick.

Either way, more power to ya!

Blackscreen67

Born to spool
Reaction score
I had no idea modding a 6000-lb minibus (let's be honest folks, it's a people mover), was a thing. I mean, to each their own. I just thought modding this truck for off-road was more appropriate than modding it for power.

I own a 2017 VW Golf R with stage 2 upgrades. 0-60 in 3.6 seconds.

I can't imagine what it would take to get this mammoth to accelerate that quick.

Either way, more power to ya!

I don't see the driveline having holding ability for that.

3.5 at 6k would be close to 650-700hp assuming tuning wasn't laggy.

OP
OP

5150 pops

Full Access Members
Reaction score

No shit

OP
OP

5150 pops

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I find it very amusing, but in a sad sort of way how a lot of folks who choose to participate in a thread, only do so to be as condescending as possible.

I never said with any conviction, what I might choose to burn money on for my Expedition. In fact the title of the the thread says POTENTIAL, not definite. Clearly some in here have raging egos, sitting behind their keyboards, and it's to be expected.

I watched the same thing happen in @Mike Wolfe's tune thread. He offered up conversation, and was brow beaten from a quote that never was...by those same folks who hunger to be The Authority on all matters, though they can't seem to stop making broad assumptions... regularly.

I also never said the things I submitted were in any sequential order OR a full and complete list..it wasn't. Yet some thought both were true.

It's almost like I'm in a forum full of attorneys. Every single one of you proofreads your posts before posting them, to check for grammatical or other errors?

L A M E ! ! !