2018 Expedition HD Tow pkg potential upgrades

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP

5150 pops

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The factory system has defueling limiter that I'm pretty sure you hit.

With that time it's 340hp at the crank @ 6klbs.

I believe this is something that's 4a specific and not when in 2.

I don't think that's the case, the 1st pass, where I forgot to trigger the OBDLink MX, (after staging) is fairly close to this one, and it was in 2Hi mode.

The people (some) on the F-150 forum who regularly go to the dragstrip, have remarked that 2Hi yields better ET as well as Normal drive mode vs Sport. My practice runs seemed to reflect that, but knowing the inaccuracies of the OBDLink, it's all little more than conjecture at this point on my part. Which I've mentioned in the past to all who cared to read, was a real possibility. It could simply be a coincidence that the 60' times matched, and had I got 10 passes in with timing lights and OBDLink simultaneously, 9 times they may not have matched in any incrementals.
The main reason I bought the OBDLink MX was it's ability to read and clear codes on our Honda's and my BMW S1000RR (had an Odyssey, wife has an Accord). Never cared to check the performance aspect until I got the Expedition.

OP
OP

5150 pops

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The factory system has defueling limiter that I'm pretty sure you hit.

With that time it's 340hp at the crank @ 6klbs.

I believe this is something that's 4a specific and not when in 2.

Which result did you base that off of (the fueling limit reference)?

The 14.55 or the optimistic 14.24 of the OBDLink?
I hope not the OBDLink as it seems pointless.

Blackscreen67

Born to spool
Reaction score
Which result did you base that off of (the fueling limit reference)?

The 14.55 or the optimistic 14.24 of the OBDLink?
I hope not the OBDLink as it seems pointless.

The 14.55.

I personally when driving in 4a can feel it defuel with an off idle hard acceleration. That's how I know your experiencing a defuel, and the time/power output reflects such.

The bigger question is why is the defuel there, and what's it designed to avoid?... and is it Tow pack specific.

OP
OP

5150 pops

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The 14.55.

I personally when driving in 4a can feel it defuel with an off idle hard acceleration. That's how I know your experiencing a defuel, and the time/power output reflects such.

The bigger question is why is the defuel there, and what's it designed to avoid?... and is it Tow pack specific.

Interesting observation.
When I had practiced launching away from the track, I had a tendency to "feather in" the throttle, but Friday night, as nasty as it was (atmospheric), I buried the throttle at take off.

I'll go again to the track before changing anything on the vehicle, but it won't be until the weather conditions are much more favorable than they were this time around.

Hopefully this coming Friday there will be more opportunities (if the current forecast comes to fruition) than this past one as well. I think VMP were making up for an earlier rainout, as they had two race series running in addition to the test-n-tune. If it were a t-n-t only event, I know I would have had more opportunities to make passes, and try different techniques.

I'd like to return to the same track, for continuity, but might go up to MIR, if the weather conditions are more promising or they are only holding a true t-n-t night, lesson learned.

Blackscreen67

Born to spool
Reaction score
I don't think that's the case, the 1st pass, where I forgot to trigger the OBDLink MX, (after staging) is fairly close to this one, and it was in 2Hi mode.

The people (some) on the F-150 forum who regularly go to the dragstrip, have remarked that 2Hi yields better ET as well as Normal drive mode vs Sport. My practice runs seemed to reflect that, but knowing the inaccuracies of the OBDLink, it's all little more than conjecture at this point on my part. Which I've mentioned in the past to all who cared to read, was a real possibility. It could simply be a coincidence that the 60' times matched, and had I got 10 passes in with timing lights and OBDLink simultaneously, 9 times they may not have matched in any incrementals.
The main reason I bought the OBDLink MX was it's ability to read and clear codes on our Honda's and my BMW S1000RR (had an Odyssey, wife has an Accord). Never cared to check the performance aspect until I got the Expedition.

That's understandable. What I'm saying is there are definitely defueling parameters built in to the lower rpm and gear ranges

They can be felt especially if trying to leave hard off idle.

It's likely torque management software which are designed to limited output.

Being these don't have a launch control feature, there's no way the computer can decipher a boosted launch vs. excessive throttle input. This causes the computer to remap it's self and limit fuel.

My bet is best times will be from a non boosted launch in sport mode starting In 4a, then switching to 2a quickly after the 60ft.

OP
OP

5150 pops

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I c where you'd think it would be better, but it won't switch to 2wd without lifting off the throttle.
The Dragstrip launch area usually has an abundance of grip, if u lineup in a good groove, and drive around the waterbox, if on street tires.

I'm a little bummed, I didn't get the customary 8-12 passes I usually get on a t-n-t night, from years passed. Would like to try again using different techniques, to prove/disprove my belief this is a high to mid 13 second vehicle stock, with 93 octane and 3.73 rear...maybe one day I will get my chance.

Mike Wolfe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Keep on keeping on
Did you get hit with the hurricane?
I share your belief that these are high 13 vehicles with 93 octane
Will never make it to a drag strip here because it is over 80 miles from where I live
But I am sure the 93 octane performance/tow calibration from 5 star knocked at least a second off of 0-60 & 1/4 mile times

OP
OP

5150 pops

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Keep on keeping on
Did you get hit with the hurricane?
I share your belief that these are high 13 vehicles with 93 octane
Will never make it to a drag strip here because it is over 80 miles from where I live

Florence did not make direct contact with us, but was blamed for several tornadoes that touchdown in Central Va.

I'm grateful my family wasn't affected by anything more than fear, as others endured loss of life and property. Fortunately enough it happened in broad daylight, so it may have prevented a worse outcome. That being said, the one death was an employee at a flooring store, the entire area was truly fortunate, that everything else has the potential to be rebuilt and/or replaced.
Another reminder there's no guarantees in life. That guy surely never thought for a moment that he was living out his last few hours when he left for work that morning.

Maryland International Raceway is 92 miles from my house, and is a real possibility for me to ride up there for test and tune .I've done it numerous times in the past with motorcycles, it's usually worth a tenth off my best time at VMP even though they're very similar elevation. The air always seems better up North.