2018 HELP!!! COLD START NOISE

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JAMADOR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Dropped off the MiniBus for CP replacement this morning. Wasn't given an ETA
Have a brand new (200 on the odo) XLT Explorer for a loaner, wife's slumming it in my Malibu.
Only 15 minutes in the Exloder so far, but has me thinking about one to replace my 10 year old Malibu. Much nicer, about the same economy [on paper] and a lot roomier. Didn't know you could get all the tech, leather & captains chairs in the XLT.

Silver-Bullet-Bus

Reaction score
Cam phases guaranteed.

Ask me how I know.

I also had to replace the VCT solenoids, up top, in-order to restore full original performance—the screens plug up, and then even with new phasers, you still to not achieve full timing advance advantage with bad VCT solenoids

Ford is allowed to repair/replace with either the old phasers, until the old stock is exhausted, or the new re-designed part number. Make sure you get the new phasers.

1668129446268.png

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Cam phases guaranteed.

Ask me how I know.

I also had to replace the VCT solenoids, up top, in-order to restore full original performance—the screens plug up, and then even with new phasers, you still to not achieve full timing advance advantage with bad VCT solenoids

Ford is allowed to repair/replace with either the old phasers, until the old stock is exhausted, or the new re-designed part number. Make sure you get the new phasers.

View attachment 75581

Yeah, but the figment guide shows that this part number doesn’t fit our model year. I am worried some dealers may refuse to do this.

JAMADOR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Dropped off the MiniBus for CP replacement this morning. Wasn't given an ETA
Have a brand new (200 on the odo) XLT Explorer for a loaner, wife's slumming it in my Malibu.
Only 15 minutes in the Exloder so far, but has me thinking about one to replace my 10 year old Malibu. Much nicer, about the same economy [on paper] and a lot roomier. Didn't know you could get all the tech, leather & captains chairs in the XLT.
:mad:
8 days since I dropped it off. Just called to get an update. They haven't even had it in the shop yet.
Run around answer about why they didn't order the parts in September when they set the appt for it.
I'm not complaining as I'm enjoying the Explorer loaner, but my wife is already tired of driving my car & wants her Max back.

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
:mad:
8 days since I dropped it off. Just called to get an update. They haven't even had it in the shop yet.
Run around answer about why they didn't order the parts in September when they set the appt for it.
I'm not complaining as I'm enjoying the Explorer loaner, but my wife is already tired of driving my car & wants her Max back.
I **** hate dealerships. Hey! Atleast they provided you a loaner!

JAMADOR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah, that's a plus, just miffed that they confirmed CP in September and didn't get the backordered parts on order then, and as of today they haven't ordered anything yet.

JAMADOR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Picked up the truck yesterday, just under 2 weeks.
Cold start this morning, no CP rattle, so that's promising.
Invoice shows ML3Z-6256-A Sprocket - Cam 5560 and ML3Z-6C525-A Cam 556012 for part nos.

Going from the nimble Explorer to the Minibus Expy Max was an adjustment, but the wife's happy to have her truck back.

rltrbill

Reaction score
So I have a Ford ESP warranty- I had the reprogram done. Are the phasers still 100% covered if my warranty is still in effect after the 69,999 mi? That was the main reason I got the ESP (and tranny). I have 62k mi- it does have what I believe to be waste gate flutter.