2018 Limited showing P0012 code at 51k miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pw1981

Reaction score
Been seeing an intermittent check engine light while on vacation this week. Finally home this evening and was able to read the code as “P0012 Camshaft Position “A” - Timing Over-Retarded (Bank 1)”

I did some searching and see a wide variety of posts about this code in older expeditions, but not a lot in the 4th Gen. some people reported swapping the VVT solenoid as the solution while others required serious overhauls.

My wife’s Edge is currently down for at least 3 weeks awaiting warranty parts and she is in a Ford-provided rental Mustang since there were no SUVs available. One of us has to have an SUV so I’m hoping this isn’t going to be a big deal.

Has anyone experienced this on a 4th Gen? If so, what was the resolution?

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The OP in this thread had the same issue...unfortunately, there was no helpful resolution due to, we'll call them: "prevailing issues".

OP
OP
pw1981

pw1981

Reaction score
So apparently email reply notifications are not working.

Dealer diagnosed it as the VVT Solenoid needing to be replaced. As a bonus, they are doing that replacement along with the TSB repairs for the cold start rattle. I dropped it off today and picked up a loaner 2020 Expedition for a week.

OP
OP
pw1981

pw1981

Reaction score
I figured I'd update.Took a few extra days to get the truck back due to a dealership covid-related staffing issue, but its all fixed. The provided loaner made the delay really not a big deal. They swapped the solenoid that was the source of the code and did the phaser replacement TSB. All is working as expected and now cold starts are very normal and quiet.

serge12

Reaction score
So apparently email reply notifications are not working.

Dealer diagnosed it as the VVT Solenoid needing to be replaced. As a bonus, they are doing that replacement along with the TSB repairs for the cold start rattle. I dropped it off today and picked up a loaner 2020 Expedition for a week.
What tsb repairs did they do ?