2022 Expedition - Cracked Roof Panel; Cracked Lift gate Spoiler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1775SS

Reaction score
Recalls are for safety issues, this isn't considered one unfortunately. This is a production line install issue (not enough gap). My guess is someone new on the line was installing it wrong for a while.
Ok, that makes sense. Still, unless Ford figures out how to inform Expedition owners of this issue, it will continue to happen. Maybe inform dealers to notify its customers. Check the gap during oil changes. Have an airplane do some sky writing. Send a letter via pony express.
Anything is better than thousands in repair.
My damage

Attachments

• 20231220_110231.jpg
    20231220_110231.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 14

AJ82

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yep completely agree. Notices were sent to the dealers if you read earlier posts. Now are they doing any proactive things like checking at an oil change. I'd be willing to say they aren't. Sadly damages get the dealers more work and more money than doing the right thing. I'm going to have them check mine when it goes back for something else.

giudi1md

Reaction score
Thought I would post back with an update, last winter we had the hatch fixed and I thought we were good… today my wife opened the hatch and heard another pop while opening the rear hatch and this time we have two punctures in our roof! Will be following up with the dealership in the morning, but I’m in total disbelief.

Attachments

• IMG_0036.jpeg
    IMG_0036.jpeg
    79.1 KB · Views: 18

Polo08816

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thought I would post back with an update, last winter we had the hatch fixed and I thought we were good… today my wife opened the hatch and heard another pop while opening the rear hatch and this time we have two punctures in our roof! Will be following up with the dealership in the morning, but I’m in total disbelief.

What model year is your vehicle?

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Objectively, relative to the competion, you are correct; however, if you view today's objective numbers accross the industry in historical context, all companies, including Ford, continue to improve initial quality in agregate over time. Ford is plagued by escessive costs/incident versus quantity of unique mid to high mileage engineering related recall incidents - not an excuse, just a fact.

The point being, they should still have reasonably robust identification and containment capabilities for this type of relatively "rare" production or redesign escape. Furthermore, this is usually an easy thing to discover, track, troubleshoot, fix and prevent recurrance of. "Rare" meaning single, low volume, legacy, vehicle line affected over what seems to be an easily defined production time period. This is the type of thing that we used to solve in an afternoon; then we spent a few weeks following up on and finally firing or some other way abusing those responsible inside or outside of the company.

Just an update on vehicle safety recalls.

In 2023, Ford issued 56 separate safety recall campaigns involving 5.9 million vehicles.

This was the third consecutive year where Ford had the most safety recalls and the most vehicles recalled for safety issues.

alynette20

Reaction score
that for sure looks like it was caused by ice.
Same thing happened to our 2022 expedition, 2 weeks ago ice on roof, opened back hatxh,heard a cracking, pop, then spolliler cracked and metal on roof punctured. How can ice puncture metal??! It's like the roof is made from cheap aluminum . How can $80,000 vehicle madefir extreme weather do this? It is a known defect. Ford Dealer says not covered by warranty, ins company says they dont knowwho is responsible, auto body says only Ford dealership can fix the roof, no one wants to take responsibility, and 2 weeks paying for rental car while the vehicle gets handed around to different people and no one wants to touch the vehicle, will have to pay cash to fix this. Very unhappy with Ford!! Not the way to handle customers who are paying top dollar for this vehicle.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Same thing happened to our 2022 expedition, 2 weeks ago ice on roof, opened back hatxh,heard a cracking, pop, then spolliler cracked and metal on roof punctured. How can ice puncture metal??! It's like the roof is made from cheap aluminum . How can $80,000 vehicle madefir extreme weather do this? It is a known defect. Ford Dealer says not covered by warranty, ins company says they dont knowwho is responsible, auto body says only Ford dealership can fix the roof, no one wants to take responsibility, and 2 weeks paying for rental car while the vehicle gets handed around to different people and no one wants to touch the vehicle, will have to pay cash to fix this. Very unhappy with Ford!! Not the way to handle customers who are paying top dollar for this vehicle.

The TSB / communication issued by Ford instructs the dealer to repair the damage: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2023/MC-10232437-0001.pdf

Perhaps print the communication and speak with the service or body shop manager?

mwar99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Go back to the dealer, it should be covered, see post above.

1775SS

Reaction score
2022. Previously had this issue last winter as documented in this thread. Was repaired and everything seemed fine until the cold temps came back around.
Sounds like there is some incompetence with your dealer.
How long did it take for the first repair to get completed and do you know what they did to repair your roof ?