4" lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sparkss

Reaction score
Been considering a modest lift to be able to get some bigger tires on our '05 EB 4X4 Expy. I am the original owner and it only has 75k miles on it. I did replace the factory struts about 9 years ago (at maybe 35k miles) with Bilsteins. I would prefer to keep the same rims and just go with larger tires, as I have read others have done. What is a safe lift "size", or range, for our truck that would still give the ability to go with a larger tire? and have the least amount of risk for the remaining suspension parts? Ours came with the HD Towing package, although I realize that is more about radiator and transmission than about suspension, but I figured better to mention it.

TIA!

scoot0073

Full Access Members
Reaction score
3.5 / 2 5 with 35's will get u there

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

CertusExpo

Customizing trucks since I was 7 with my Legos
Reaction score
While what scoot0073 is true. Going to max has the opposite effect of ending the upper ball joint life MUCH QUICKER than if you went a little more modest with the lift.

To maintain some semblance of dependability, I'd go 2.5/2 inch lift.

I have the max lift and just ate my end links and the ball joints are close behind after almost 2 years for the ball joints and maybe, 6 months for the end links.
I am going to try to mitigate that via doubled-up limiting straps but we'll see if it does the trick. And, the max lift gets you into trimming, modding, and fabrication.

You'll be able to fit 33's.

scoot0073

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Now granted a year after I did my leveling kit I did do brand new upper control arms not that I needed to but with a 250 something thousand miles I knew it needed to be done

scoot0073

Full Access Members
Reaction score
While what scoot0073 is true. Going to max has the opposite effect of ending the upper ball joint life MUCH QUICKER than if you went a little more modest with the lift.

To maintain some semblance of dependability, I'd go 2.5/2 inch lift.

I have the max lift and just ate my end links and the ball joints are close behind after almost 2 years for the ball joints and maybe, 6 months for the end links.
I am going to try to mitigate that via doubled-up limiting straps but we'll see if it does the trick. And, the max lift gets you into trimming, modding, and fabrication.

You'll be able to fit 33's.
Yes doing the 3.5 /2.5 leveling kit with 35's will require you to do some trimming to the valace and the pinch welds in the inner fender..
But I wanna run 38's so I need to do a 3" body lift .
I have been lazy bc it is some work but I do wanna go bigger in tire size [emoji106]

CertusExpo

Customizing trucks since I was 7 with my Legos
Reaction score
I have been lazy bc it is some work but I do wanna go bigger in tire size [emoji106]

38's! WHOA!!!

Are you doing any work to the transmission and swapping out gears?

The 35's placed a noticable amount of strain on my 250k mile transmission.

scoot0073

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I did the gears last year to 4.56 front and rear. And now my 250, something mile rig will burn them 35's.
But yes I want to run 38's which is is at the top end for my 4.56 gears but I need at least a 3" body lift atm then who knows from there.

scoot0073

Full Access Members
Reaction score
38's! WHOA!!!

Are you doing any work to the transmission and swapping out gears?

The 35's placed a noticable amount of strain on my 250k mile transmission.
The transmission is still stock

Jb14

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes doing the 3.5 /2.5 leveling kit with 35's will require you to do some trimming to the valace and the pinch welds in the inner fender..

I run 35's did have to trim the edges of the valance (very minimal) but never needed to do any pinch welding. No rub no touch

scoot0073

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I run 35's did have to trim the edges of the valance (very minimal) but never needed to do any pinch welding. No rub no touch
If u go trail riding trust me you will have to trim and cut bend the pinch welds in the front fender.
Now if u keep it street only then NO