4th Gen FX4 vs. Heavy Duty Tow

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Overtow

Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out exactly which option packages I want to add to a new Expedition and I have a couple questions on the FX4 package vs. Heavy Duty Towing.

99% road driving, 50/50 city/highway.
Obviously, towing is a requirement. I am more than capable of putting a boat in the water on the first try, but my wife - not so much.

When I compare the features of each package, it seems like the key features (diff/4wd/radiator) are included in both packages. The tow package adds the backup assist (which *may* be good for the wife), and the integrated brake controller, but I'm not sure those two features are worth the extra $1200.

I like everything about the FX4 package except the wheels - I prefer the look of the 20" wheels and for most of my driving (basically zero "real off road") 20" would probably be better for fuel economy and handling. Does anyone know what the "premium off road shocks" bring to the table?

In a perfect world, I would get the towing package with skid plates, 20" wheels, and the chrome running boards.

Wanting the skid plates appears to lock you in to the XLT as well - I don't see a way to add skid plates to the Limited. The closest thing is maybe the Special Edition package, but no skid plates there.

XLT Package Comparison:

Towing Package:
• 3.73 electronic limited-slip differential
• Two-speed automatic 4WD (4x4 only) with neutral towing capability
• Heavy-duty radiator

• Pro Trailer Backup Assist™
• Integrated trailer brake controller

FX4 package:
• Heavy-duty radiator

• Premium off-road front and rear shocks
• Fuel tank underbody protection
• Skid plates
• 275/65R18 all-terrain (A/T) OWL (outline-white-letter) tires
• 18-inch magnetic metallic-painted cast-aluminum wheels
• Chrome-plated platform running boards
• Front- and second-row floor liners
• FX4 badge

Thoughts?

benyl

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Why do you need skid plates and Off road tuned shocks (which rather terrible in My FX4 equipped F150)? I think the answer is pretty straight forward.

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I went through this a couple months ago, except I wanted the 18" wheels, so it was a little easier for me. You are correct that if you get the FX4 package, the only thing the max trailer package brings to the table is the integrated trailer brake controller and the pro-backup assist. However, the ITB is available as a dealer installed option.

Last edited:

Paddler

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I went through a similar analysis when ordering mine. As my boat weighs just 3800# on the trailer, I opted for the standard 6000# tow package. The ten speed transmission and Tow Haul mode compensates for not having the 3.73 rear end. My trailer has surge brakes, so don't need the controller, I have no problem backing up, so the back up assist isn't needed. I never overheated, in fact the temperature never budged in my 2008 Expy. It looked to me that the main benefit of the HD Tow Package for my purposes would have been the HD radiator, and I didn't want to pay the extra $1500 for it. The upside is arguably better mileage with the 3.31 final drive ratio. In my situation it makes more sense. My biggest concern if I were towing 6000# would be the squat, which wouldn't be helped by the HD package, anyway. You're going to want a WDH.

I also went with the 18" wheels, which are less vulnerable to dings off road and ride better on the road. In fact, you probably should consider the CCD suspension if you go with the 20"s. The 20" wheels may look better to you, but IMO the 18"s are more practical, simpler and more cost effective.

Last edited:

3Fords1Vette

Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out exactly which option packages I want to add to a new Expedition and I have a couple questions on the FX4 package vs. Heavy Duty Towing.

99% road driving, 50/50 city/highway.
Obviously, towing is a requirement. I am more than capable of putting a boat in the water on the first try, but my wife - not so much.

When I compare the features of each package, it seems like the key features (diff/4wd/radiator) are included in both packages. The tow package adds the backup assist (which *may* be good for the wife), and the integrated brake controller, but I'm not sure those two features are worth the extra $1200.

I like everything about the FX4 package except the wheels - I prefer the look of the 20" wheels and for most of my driving (basically zero "real off road") 20" would probably be better for fuel economy and handling. Does anyone know what the "premium off road shocks" bring to the table?

In a perfect world, I would get the towing package with skid plates, 20" wheels, and the chrome running boards.

Wanting the skid plates appears to lock you in to the XLT as well - I don't see a way to add skid plates to the Limited. The closest thing is maybe the Special Edition package, but no skid plates there.

XLT Package Comparison:

Towing Package:
• Heavy-duty radiator

• Pro Trailer Backup Assist™
• Integrated trailer brake controller

FX4 package:
• Heavy-duty radiator

• Premium off-road front and rear shocks
• Fuel tank underbody protection
• Skid plates
• 275/65R18 all-terrain (A/T) OWL (outline-white-letter) tires
• 18-inch magnetic metallic-painted cast-aluminum wheels
• Chrome-plated platform running boards
• Front- and second-row floor liners
• FX4 badge

Thoughts?
We opted for the HD Tow due to the mere fact that we currently do tow and we might tow with the Expy. We would rather have it than wish we had it. We didn't do much research on the pros and the cons. We assumed someone all ready did all that research and we assumed the HD Tow had some value.

We did not and do not need the FX4 or the 4X4 due to we have zero intention of ever being in any deep sand or mud. If we are headed somewhere that has a reputation of mud or sand - we will use our F250 for that trip.

If you think you will need either - just go for it. It is better to get what you need now vs wishing you had gotten it.... zero regrets.

OP
OP
O

Overtow

Reaction score
Bringing up a somewhat older topic here....

What is the tow capacity on an FX4 vs. Standard? The FX4 brings 3.73 and the HD Radiator to the game, while the Tow Package also adds the IBC and the Millenial Knob. Seems to me that the 3.73 and HD Radiator are the features that bring the towing spec up to 9k, but the brochures all indicate that HDTow is required to get that. Is FX4 rated for 9k towing?

I ask because I've found a truck in my area with all the options I want except the HD Tow....

Thanks!

rumline

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The FX4 brings 3.73 and the HD Radiator to the game, while the Tow Package also adds the IBC and the Millenial Knob.
LMAO!

In the 2018 Ford Towing Guide, the rows for the 3.73 rear axle all have the little (3) notation which means "Requires optional Class IV Heavy-Duty Trailer Tow Package (536)." So it does not address the situation you're asking about. The 2019 guide should be out soon; it'll be interesting to see if they provide any more detail about this issue.

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Last edited: