5.4L 3V and 3.5 Twin Turbo Counterfeit Spark Plugs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

762mm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have never fallen for the "Motorcraft plugs or bust in your Ford" propaganda from FoMoCo.

I have used NGK and Denso platinum and Iridium with great success in my previous Ford (Explorer). The engine purred like a kitten for 16 years...

Now my Expy has Champion Iridium plugs from Rockauto and they are great... they're genuine Champion and cheaper than even the Motorcraft knockoffs.

A good brand plug will work just fine in your Ford, despite the dealership's horror stories you may hear. This counterfeiting is yet another reason to choose another alternative.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There have also been reports or fake NGK plugs. My advice is stop buying plugs online at cheapest prices and on Rock auto too.
Buy them local at parts store where you can check them out before you buy them.

762mm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There have also been reports or fake NGK plugs. My advice is stop buying plugs online at cheapest prices and on Rock auto too.
Buy them local at parts store where you can check them out before you buy them.

I trust Rockauto as much as I'd trust a dealership, myself. I am yet to have a "fake" part shipped and I literally ordered over 100 times from these guys over the years, as I maintain all of our family's cars and trucks. They are really good with returns too if they screw up and send you the wrong part (happened twice, I think). My fridge is full of the complimentary "xxxxx's car built with RockAuto parts" magnets and now I started putting them on my tool cabinet in the garage, lol!

:p

Ordinarily I'd agree that it's better to check stuff out in person, however the local parts stores charge $20-25 per iridium plug, whereas the Champion iridium plugs were $6 a piece at RA. Even with a shop discount, the price is still ridiculous locally. I have taken my chances online every time and I am yet to get burnt by Rockauto. I only buy local if I need the part right away, for urgent repairs. Anything that can wait gets ordered through RA or sometimes Amazon Canada (due to free shipping).

That said, I'll be ordering Melling cast iron timing tensioners and high volume oil pump from RockAuto very soon, plus some other doodads for the Expedition. Their parts kept my old Explorer on the road for 16 years for a fraction of the local cost. In RockAuto, I trust!

(this is not a paid advertisement, btw!)

;)

Last edited:

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I trust Rockauto as much as I'd trust a dealership, myself. I am yet to have a "fake" part shipped and I literally ordered over 100 times from these guys over the years, as I maintain all of our family's cars and trucks. They are really good with returns too if they screw up and send you the wrong part (happened twice, I think). My fridge is full of the complimentary "xxxxx's car built with RockAuto parts" magnets and now I started putting them on my tool cabinet in the garage, lol!

:p

Ordinarily I'd agree that it's better to check stuff out in person, however the local parts stores charge $20-25 per iridium plug, whereas the Champion iridium plugs were $6 a piece at RA. Even with a shop discount, the price is still ridiculous locally. I have taken my chances online every time and I am yet to get burnt by Rockauto. I only buy local if I need the part right away, for urgent repairs. Anything that can wait gets ordered through RA or sometimes Amazon Canada (due to free shipping).

That said, I'll be ordering Melling cast iron timing tensioners and high volume oil pump from RockAuto very soon, plus some other doodads for the Expedition. Their parts kept my old Explorer on the road for 16 years for a fraction of the local cost. In RockAuto, I trust!

(this is not a paid advertisement, btw!)

;)
As far as online goes, RockAuto is one of the best because of their volume and they have a reputation. Amazon really doesn't care about the reputation as numbers takes care of itself.
You should know from my previous post that I am the ultimate cheapskate!
Some things are still worth paying more for to have Hands-On and I have to worry about return shipping. This is why I buy parts that can fail or, do like window regulators from the local parts store that I can walk in and swap it out if it breaks. Not going to bother sending it back or waiting for a new one to come up from eBay or RockAuto.
I solve the problem with price by not buying these ridiculously overpriced stupid iridium plugs.
You guys do realize this will never end right?? It started out with platinum, and then double platinum, and then multiple tips, and then iridium. You know they will come up with something new 15 or 20 years from now if we're still using spark plugs and internal combustion engines so they can jack the prices up and get people to buy them.
Sure, iridium last a little bit longer but it's not necessary and plenty of other plugs in most applications last plenty long enough.
And before anyone goes and tells me about how hard the V6 twin-turbo is on spark plugs I will remind you I won't have to worry about this because I'm against the entire design of the engine and hey turbo, let alone 2 on a daily driver or work vehicle. So I will never own one. I will wait till they replace it with something else and skip right over that engine in history.

Another note on why I trust local places more than online is because it seems local places aren't that worried about or smart enough to buy from the cheapest sources and try to save money. They still live in 1985 where they need, they order, and it gets paid for.
Online companies are always sourcing things are trying to keep their prices low as possible so it looking for a better deal.
O'Reilly Auto Parts is not going to change where they get their spark plugs from. It's too big of a hassle just to save a few pennies. Online places are often approached buy vendors all the time wanting to supply them Parts at a lower price.
This does happen to a point especially on hard part's like alternators and starters and fuel pumps in the local part stores and it's done at a company or Regional level but it just and even greater likelihood for online sellers because they are far more competitive than the local places.
Basically though, we just need to keep sharing videos like this and become aware on how to spot the face so we can always send them back.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Work on shorter replies gentlemen...geez.

Oh well, another thread has digressed...this one from “make sure you are getting the right plug” to “the value of Rock Auto”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm wondering if the 515 plug is worth using since it's now much cheaper and I am a tightwad too and don't mind changing plugs. It was the updated non-breakable go-to Ford plug up until a few years ago. I would never buy iridium since plugs are like tires, they start wearing out from day one and they will get caked with deposits no matter what you do.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Work on shorter replies gentlemen...geez.

Oh well, another thread has digressed...this one from “make sure you are getting the right plug” to “the value of Rock Auto”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Not gonna do it...
Scroll on down or skim it.
I'm on here for my pleasure, not yours.
Or a nicer way of saying it is that members are all here for their own enjoyment, learning, sharing, Etc... no one has any requirement to do anything out of the way or to conform their actions to anyone elses wishes.
But what do I know I need a Snickers.

Hulkster

Reaction score
This comment is sort of a cross between 2 of JE's recent posts.

China is and has been counterfeiting American products and stealing our Intellectual Property for waaaay tooo looong. Time for it to stop or at least hold them accountable. I remember when my friends would go to China on business and bring home knockoff Callaway golf clubs or anything at 1/4 the price. Not as good either but looked real.

China is a main provider of Fentanyl opioid too. State sponsored.
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/chinas-role-in-the-us-fentanyl-epidemic-152338423.html

China also has Teams of cyber criminals (state sponsored) who have infamously stolen vast amounts of data and done other dirty deeds. Time to hold them accountable.

China (where there is no line between private business and the Communist government) companies should not be allowed to set the standards for 5G and provide equipment either. Just as Chinese designed and manufactured cameras should not become (already too late) standard equipment across the USA including military bases etc.

China should not be allowed to buy large US semiconductor companies and become a monopoly in any particular field by this manner.

We have to surpass them in the fields of AI and quantum computing also or its game over.

RANT OVER
Did you literally say China stole from us and they are the end all. So America has never stolen from another country. Should would go back to the 50s and see what was happening in America. America never steals ideas from anyone sounds good not true. It’s not a country thing it’s the companies within and the country that chooses to overlook for their benefit financially. Every country does this lol. Stop creating bias and hate on one situation while ignoring others.