87 vs 89 vs 93 octane - my findings

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Please provide proof of being .4 slower. We all would love to see it(so would Ford). You probably would have the fastest Ford SUV in the world.

I do actually have the fastest documented Explorer currently! Several are about to take my record down, but right now it stands.

36f9c6265c9eaf56d17e90d402220cdc.jpg
1/4 Mile - Great Conditions

9f728aae1eb58b7c368c56d5b7737f6f.jpg
0-60 Great conditions - Good weather/Temp - Great Launch

2ca5dea6ce47fcd49b03a9afb6e7971f.jpg
0-60 Regular Conditions - I can do 3.8’s all day long, pretty much any temp.

Stock 2020 Explorer on Stock All weather 21’s running a ZFG E50 Tune.

I love it when people who have ZERO clue are calling me out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I do actually have the fastest documented Explorer currently! Several are about to take my record down, but right now it stands.

36f9c6265c9eaf56d17e90d402220cdc.jpg
1/4 Mile - Great Conditions

9f728aae1eb58b7c368c56d5b7737f6f.jpg
0-60 Great conditions - Good weather/Temp - Great Launch

2ca5dea6ce47fcd49b03a9afb6e7971f.jpg
0-60 Regular Conditions - I can do 3.8’s all day long, pretty much any temp.

I love it when people who have ZERO clue are calling me out.

People? I never called you out I just said I was wondering about it.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think I see what you are trying to say...but you are missing the point COMPLETELY.

My 20, and my 17 before that, and @JExpedition07's 07 before that were all 3.73 Rears. Yes Final matters, but if the Rear doesn't change and lower ratio gears are added additionally(Other wise known as OverDrives, anything lower than a 1:1 is an Overdrive). They were added to increase MPG when cruising on Flat terrain at highway speeds, and keep RPM's down. You keep RPM's down under light load, and decrease fuel use.

Just for everybody's Education:

2007 and 2017 6Spd:
Transmission gear ratio (1st) 4.17
Transmission gear ratio (2nd) 2.34
Transmission gear ratio (3rd) 1.54
Transmission gear ratio (4th) 1.14
Transmission gear ratio (5th) .87
Transmission gear ratio (6th) .69

2020 10 Spd:
Transmission gear ratio (1st) 4.70
Transmission gear ratio (2nd) 2.99
Transmission gear ratio (3rd) 2.15
Transmission gear ratio (4th) 1.77
Transmission gear ratio (5th) 1.52
Transmission gear ratio (6th) 1.28
Transmission gear ratio (7th) 1.00
Transmission gear ratio (8th) .85
Transmission gear ratio (9th) .69
Transmission gear ratio (10th) .64
I think you are missing the point COMPLETELY. The optimal final drive for a particular vehicle is the only thing that counts (unless you want to enter wind speed, tires, road conditions, and plane flatness. All your gear ratios, overdrives, multi trans speeds, etc have nothing to do with his claimed mpgs on the hiway. They all have "overdrive" multi speeds etc, come on, I thought you were smarter than that.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think you are missing the point COMPLETELY. The optimal final drive for a particular vehicle is the only thing that counts (unless you want to enter wind speed, tires, road conditions, and plane flatness. All your gear ratios, overdrives, multi trans speeds, etc have nothing to do with his claimed mpgs on the hiway. They all have "overdrive" multi speeds etc, come on, I thought you were smarter than that.

Let’s just agree, all things else the same, a smaller number gear, or more of an overdrive generally increases Fuel Mileage...

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Let’s just agree, all things else the same, a smaller number gear, or more of an overdrive generally increases Fuel Mileage...

I would like to agree but there is only one optimal final drive ratio for any particular vehicle. If you gear higher or lower you won't be optimal. If it were just a matter of gearing higher Ford would put 2.5 rear ends in all their vehicles. JD expy guy has to be dialed in perfectly to get 20 mpg on the hiway and taller gears won't help a bit.

OP
OP
Jeremygsu

Jeremygsu

Reaction score

That's pretty darn fast.

Got any videos of this running at the track?

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You are stuck in the 1970’s, final drive isn’t nearly as relevant with today’s 6,8, and 10 speed transmissions with lockup clutch function in all the forward gears and several overdrives. The 10R80 has 4 overdrives. You think they are doing this for fun? It’s to save gasoline. Ignorance is bliss I suppose.

Ford couples the new 7.3L V8 with the 10R140 and people are reporting upwards of 18 MPG on the highway. On a BIG BLOCK. WITH 4.30 gears! It’s all in the transmission.

Last edited:

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
That's pretty darn fast.

Got any videos of this running at the track?

Nope. My local Track is still not open. Several others with times close to mine have videos out there in the ether if you look around.

For a while my Dragy app wouldn’t do the video option, that appears to be working now, so I might get another 0-60 run in the near future.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I would like to agree but there is only one optimal final drive ratio for any particular vehicle. If you gear higher or lower you won't be optimal. If it were just a matter of gearing higher Ford would put 2.5 rear ends in all their vehicles. JD expy guy has to be dialed in perfectly to get 20 mpg on the hiway and taller gears won't help a bit.

That ratio is Never perfect, because conditions are always in play, hence why the 10Spd exists. Slope, load, and so forth. Shift strategy in these news Trans is out of this world on how many things it factors in. Things are not cut and dry as they used to be.

Welcome to the present...and not the past.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro