A/C Z134A vs. R134A

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Lack of high octane fuels was the biggest reason cars before 1949 had such low compression, and with it lackluster performance. It's amazing the Flathead Lincoln's, and Cadillacs were as strong running as they were. High octane fuels were developed after WWII. With the lead for a cushion as power boater stated, valves had a cushion of sorts so as not to destroy the exaust valve face and seats. In the 70's all the higher elevation warm areas like Los Angeles had horrible smog. With everyone driving cars, and trucks there, it exasperated the problem. It amazes me how stupid engineers and politicians can be when it comes to what their doing to our eco system. This Earth we all share can only take so much, and re build it's self so many times. What's next, we lose the moons tidal effects on the earth, and tsunamis take over, flooding all the coastal areas like SF, where I'm at. No, I know a lot of you my age or older are ticked off that cars, and freon, etc had to change or go away, but if they didn't, you would never have the modern day vehicles you love driving. We'd be like Cuba, driving 57 Chevys, and 52 Buicks, cause that's all their is!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Oh wait, here's a right thread. Disregard that last one over there about to lead in the wrong thread. Anyways wasn't the main reason that lead was added to Automotive fuels was prevent exhaust valve seat recession.
Lack of high octane fuels was the biggest reason cars before 1949 had such low compression, and with it lackluster performance. It's amazing the Flathead Lincoln's, and Cadillacs were as strong running as they were. High octane fuels were developed after WWII. With the lead for a cushion as power boater stated, valves had a cushion of sorts so as not to destroy the exaust valve face and seats. In the 70's all the higher elevation warm areas like Los Angeles had horrible smog. With everyone driving cars, and trucks there, it exasperated the problem. It amazes me how stupid engineers and politicians can be when it comes to what their doing to our eco system. This Earth we all share can only take so much, and re build it's self so many times. What's next, we lose the moons tidal effects on the earth, and tsunamis take over, flooding all the coastal areas like SF, where I'm at. No, I know a lot of you my age or older are ticked off that cars, and freon, etc had to change or go away, but if they didn't, you would never have the modern day vehicles you love driving. We'd be like Cuba, driving 57 Chevys, and 52 Buicks, cause that's all their is!

If we're all driving 68 to 72s would be super happy. I would be generous and throw in the late forties and 50 s also. I had one of those 49 Flathead Lincoln's 9eh motor I believe it was called. It ran smoothly but didn't really have that much power of course it was in like a 6500 pound vehicle.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Actually your lead sled Lincoln Cosmopolitan was around 4400 to 4800 pounds depending on model/accessories. By the way the 49 Lincoln is one of my favorite cars. I used to have framed prints of that very car. Bob, I read the story about those guys that went bonkers working with lead. My first real jobs were at gas stations pumping that lovely stuff. Explains why I act like Ralph Kramden in my later years. Ironically my last job, I drove a bus!

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I always kind of wanted to have it weighed as it was 100% Factory with nothing but the spare tire in the trunk so it would have been the same as the published weights. I just didn't trust the published weights. I just never seen a car so heavy or even hard to bounce up and down. It was an absolute tank.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My neighbor and friend let me drive his 49 Lincoln back in 73. Great car. I sent you pm, get back when you can.

Mubarakma

Reaction score
I have 2010 Limited 2010 last year I have replaced compressor and cleaned AC circuit in the car after that evaporator start leaking blind door actuator start giving noise except condenser almost every thing in AC system replaced lowest temperature out of AC duct I got was 40 F (4.44 degrees Celsius)on a temperature gauge with R134A other car I have is Lincoln Town car 2000 with it's OEM compressor un-serviced AC system car is in an acceptable condition but I can see 34-35 F(nearly 1-1.5 Degree Celsius ) on a temperature gauge out of AC duct on R134A I don't know why but old Town car is far better in AC performance.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Different designs do vary it a lot.
I had a 2000 Chrysler LHS that I replaces compressor on that was hitting 29 degrees on the thermometer while rolling down the street. I have had more than one put ice on windshield from the slight air that leaks to defrost and many ice the lines coming out of evap like a house ac freeze up.
I think a lot of it has to do with size or capacity efficiency of the condenser and airflow.
In the 90s when I did a lot of retros from R-12 to R-134a, some cars convert with no real difference and some never get as cold esp when idling. An add of fan up front helps but some need nothing and are great.

G213

Full Access Members
Reaction score
With temps hitting the high 90s here in LA over the past couple days and in stop and go traffic, any R134a system leaves something to be desired.

I have to ask (for educations sake)....could one put R12 in an Expy's R134a system? (You don't have to say that you actually have done it, this is asking for curiosity)

I understand that the oils are not compatible and you'd need to remove them, but aside from that, it should cool more effectively and run at a lower pressure, correct?

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I even tried to put R22 in an 85 GM with DA6 compressor but not a good compressor so never got to see.
Yes the prob would be the oil. Any left becomes black sludge, but lets say you had a new system or very well flushed....many cars would be much better with R-12. Some would freeze up.
So many cars today an over the past many years have fixed orifice tubes and some version of an expansion valve with few having actual temp sensing coil bub on the low line which would in theory take care of freezing up if you had a "better" refrigerant.

Chrysler used a lot of expansion valves but I don't remember seeing a temp bulb on all of them.
GM (since around late 70s to early 80s) and fords mostly use orifice tube.
They do make different tubes.

This may be a improvement fix for you.
I remember when retros were popular there were two position tubes to held with higher duct temps when idling in traffic. Can't say I ever tried one though.
I know there are still different color ones which I believe represents size of fixed opening.

Problem with refrigeration is more flow doesn't always equal colder. Usually it does but only to a point and the refrigerant's properties has a lot to do with it.

The best thing is often a pusher fan in front of condenser and a a good condenser cleaning if dust, bugs, and fuzz all over it.
You can relay a fan to the compressor or the pressure switch so it's on only when you need it.

A lot of limos used to put an add on smaller condenser off to one side in the front. It was a special kit just for town cars that MTG and Infinite Innovations used to sell.
It helped some but then you are adding the potential for more leaks.