Acorn Nuts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Paddler

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Couldn't get a wheel off today. Haven't tried before. The factory lug wrench wouldn't work because the nuts had swollen. I need to replace all of them. This sounds like I common problem. What brand of nuts is everybody using? Or people just buying a bigger lug wrench?

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Couldn't get a wheel off today. Haven't tried before. The factory lug wrench wouldn't work because the nuts had swollen. I need to replace all of them. This sounds like I common problem. What brand of nuts is everybody using? Or people just buying a bigger lug wrench?

There have been several posts with numerous replies on this matter. Some had links to lug nuts they purchased.

You may want to do a search.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just bought a 4-way lug wrench and keep it in the back. The larger size fits over the swollen lugs.

$15 for a wrench was cheaper than a whole new flight of lugs.

OP
OP
P

Paddler

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just bought a 4-way lug wrench and keep it in the back. The larger size fits over the swollen lugs.

$15 for a wrench was cheaper than a whole new flight of lugs.
That's what I'm thinking. A 21mm is too small, but a 22mm is too big. BTW, Costco used a 22mm to change my tire, probably Discount did the same. A 7/8" is 22.2mm, so is also too big. I found a "flip socket", which is 21mm/21.5mm, which may do the trick.

Also, I have my oil changes done at the dealer, and they also rotate the tires each time. As I had 44,300 miles on my truck, I had them all replaced with Michelin Defenders the other day. T original tires had 3/32" left on the front, 5/32" on the rears. So it looks like they actually do the rotation? I called them just now, they said the techs just pound a socket on, them work it off. I can see no marring on the lugs to indicate that.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Still? They've been a known issue for literally decades now

BMW2FORD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The factory Ford lug nuts aren’t very good quality. The outer hat on the lugs deform after a few uses and you end up using whatever socket can fit. The F150 forums are full of posts and the same issue. I replaced the lugs with solid Gorilla 61148cx’s and they also sell the locking nut that’s the same size which is part number 96641dx and they are great.

TheDoug

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I preemptively changed mine to the gorilla brand ones so I don't run into this issue. There is a post somewhere here about the ones to buy

OP
OP
P

Paddler

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The Quick Lane techs at my dealer hammer a 21mm socket on to remove the nuts, then work it off. Guess I'll do the same. I'll buy the flip socket because it's an impact.

FlyBry

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The Stainless Steel outer cover will swell from the zinc plated steeel nuts. I sometime have to use a 13/16 = 20.6 mm.