Adaptive Cruise Control, owner feedback...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think the ppl who are having issues with the system are not adjusting it to how they want the system to work. You can't expect the system to "not let ppl cut you off" if you drive in eco mode and use the 4th distance setting, but then get mad that it takes to long to acceleration back to flow of traffic. Same for ppl who put it on distance 2 and gets mad it's too aggressive. There's too many outside factors for it to consider and you can intervene at anytime, but you still have to know how you "want" it to act then adjust all of settings according. You can always set it to regular cc and do it yourself as well. I like the ford setup and actually prefer it to how our cx9 setup is. I'm sure there's also better setups than fords setup as well. BUt either way, I like having acc way more than not.

ViperVette

Reaction score
I have it on my ‘21 Expedition and love it. I have almost 19,000 miles on the truck and have driven it to Canada, Maine, Texas (2x), Alabama, Mississippi and several other states. I’ve towed with it and will never own another truck or car without it.
Like others have said, if it’s not doing things the way you like you probably have the settings wrong or expect the system to compensate for other drivers‘ stupid moves especially the abrupt lane changers.

mdecillis

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Seems too aggressive with the brakes. Feels like it's applying the brakes without reducing the throttle. At the point where I would normally start to let off on the gas and coast to close the distance before applying the brakes
This is what bothers me the most. To me this is what causes traffic on congested roads. Those drivers that are continuously touching their brakes (for no reason) causing a chain reaction to those behind them just because "they see brake lights". If people (and ACC) knew how to modulate their speed without brakes, we'd have a lot less traffic on roads.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is what bothers me the most. To me this is what causes traffic on congested roads. Those drivers that are continuously touching their brakes (for no reason) causing a chain reaction to those behind them just because "they see brake lights". If people (and ACC) knew how to modulate their speed without brakes, we'd have a lot less traffic on roads.

Even my 20 doesn't do this unless someone cuts me off. But if someone in front of me brakes, it'll slow down at a smoothish rate correlated to the person in front. The only time it throws brakes hard is if the person in front brakes slow then comes to a hard/fast stop or cuts me off. Even then, if it feels like it stopping to slow, i press the brake for even shorter distance. Surprising your trucks aren't doing the same, maybe what I consider smooth braking behavior for both my trucks is not your smooth.

mdecillis

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Even my 20 doesn't do this unless someone cuts me off. But if someone in front of me brakes, it'll slow down at a rate correlated to the person in front. The only time it throws brakes hard is if the person in front brakes slow then comes to a hard/fast stop. Surprising your trucks aren't doing the same, maybe what I consider smooth braking behavior for both my trucks is not your smooth.
It's smooth braking but it's still applying the brakes when it's not needed. It should just be letting off the gas like you would if you were controlling the throttle. I even feel it put on the brakes when going down a small decline and no one is in front of me for a mile just to maintain the speed you have set.

JAMADOR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2018 Max Limited here
Overall, happy with the ACC, and just got back form a nearly 3k mile trip to Colorado, from Houston, for Christmas.
My only real complaint is the braking if someone merges in front of you, it seems to apply the brakes harder than it really needs to when it could just coast for a moment.

The 2022 Explorer XLT I had for a loaner while the Max was in for cam phasers seemed to handle merging traffic a lot better. Guessing newer Expeds would be similar.

sliderz71

Reaction score
We have ACC on our '22 Expedition Max SPP. Wow, I love it! My only question is: when the vehicle is automatically slowing down, like I come upon someone pretty quickly and I can't change lanes yet...is it actually showing my brake lights when its slowing down? I would hope it does...but I wouldn't have a way of verifying that on my own. Sometimes the de-acceleration is a bit abrupt, so I would hope its not causing a surprise to a driver behind me that I'm slowing without showing brake lights.

JohnSC

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is the first time I have had an adaptive cruise in any car, as well as the lane keeping feature. I am learning how to get the trailing distance to the car I am following set to an appropriate place (to keep from having every grandmother running 20 mph slower cut me off in the big gap), and figuring out how much I have to pull on the steering wheel to make the lane keeping stay on. The first time it slowed to start tracking the car in front when I came up on a slower moving truck surprised me how far behind the truck I was. Thought the CC had switched off…

But those two do reduce the work load of driving long distances.

rd618

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My biggest grip is the "keep hands on wheel". When my hands are on the wheel to start with. If you don't move the wheel or apply resistance it fires back with the warning. Also, the system sucks above 75mph, it was clearly designed to operate optimally under 70ish. it can operate above that, but it's less "fluid and smooth". which I do understand.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire