Adding skid plates to 2018 Limited with tow package?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
scottdm

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Agreed they may be overkill, but they are roughly the same price as all of the FX4 parts, if not cheaper in some places. If it were 2x or more, I would have said no as well.
How is access for draining the oil pan? Is there an access plate?

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The properties of this skid plate
It’s 100% Aluminum
Approximately 6mm thickness
3 parts
Local factory in Saudi Arabia
Cost less than 300$

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That’s nice!

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How is access for draining the oil pan? Is there an access plate?
There is an access plate but I will say, I went ahead and added the valve to help make it easier, it ensure that oil will drain in more of a vertical pattern, rather than shooting 4-6" laterally then down at first. So far I like the valve, as long as it holds up for years. It will be a little bit of a pain to remove the front plate each time to do the oil filter but I may try it without removing it next time.

OP
OP
scottdm

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There is an access plate but I will say, I went ahead and added the valve to help make it easier, it ensure that oil will drain in more of a vertical pattern, rather than shooting 4-6" laterally then down at first. So far I like the valve, as long as it holds up for years. It will be a little bit of a pain to remove the front plate each time to do the oil filter but I may try it without removing it next time.

I like the drain valves too for use with my Raptor transmission skid plate. I had the Fumoto valve first but didn't like how road grit would get in the end of the hose barb fitting for the drain hose between oil changes. I switched to the Stahlbus valve since it has the threaded cap for the drain port to keep it clean between changes.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Interesting, I hadn't seen those valves before. I'll see how my first couple of changes go but I could see how the operation of the valve could get rough with dirt and grime. These are a tad pricey though, for basically a smaller compressor hose quick release :)

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did you ever do this for your Navi? Sorry if I missed it if you did. I’d like to get for mine but dealer was clueless.
No, not yet. I’m still debating skids and wheels for the Navigator versus buying a new Bronco or Defender lol I think I just maxed out ‘1st world problems’ with that statement.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score

IF you have long arms and are patient, you CAN swap the filter from the top! I just did mine a few months ago because I didn't want to rip all the skid plate bolts off every time an oil change was needed. I reached in, and down and literally had to grease my arms up to fit them, but I made the reach and got the new filter threaded on straight. My arms were scratched from end to end, but it was worth it! :).

carymccarr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No, not yet. I’m still debating skids and wheels for the Navigator versus buying a new Bronco or Defender lol I think I just maxed out ‘1st world problems’ with that statement.

Due to how close my house is to conservation land they had to shave garage bay 3 off to remain within setback restrictions. Because of that I’m limited to 2 cars. Depending on the day I’m either VERY happy or VERY sad about that limitation lol