Adding skid plates to 2018 Limited with tow package?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The properties of this skid plate
It’s 100% Aluminum
Approximately 6mm thickness
3 parts
Local factory in Saudi Arabia
Cost less than 300$

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Whose plates are these? Link?

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Due to how close my house is to conservation land they had to shave garage bay 3 off to remain within setback restrictions. Because of that I’m limited to 2 cars. Depending on the day I’m either VERY happy or VERY sad about that limitation lol
We have two garages on the main drive way and one on a secondary basement driveway. I believe if I had 5 or 10 I’d find a way to fill them with something. As it is now they are all full so either my wife is getting one of the previously mentioned models or we are upgrading my man cave into a secondary building.

Lou Hamilton

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't even have a garage and my Historic District won't let me. My house was built in 1910. All the other "garages" in my neighborhood are more like sheds. Too low to fit much more than a standard sedan or coupe. An SUV or truck would never fit unless it was lowered.

StealthyBulldog

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't even have a garage and my Historic District won't let me. My house was built in 1910. All the other "garages" in my neighborhood are more like sheds. Too low to fit much more than a standard sedan or coupe. An SUV or truck would never fit unless it was lowered.

Sooo by "lowered" do you mean something like this??? Haha

Doug997

Reaction score
I went to replace the tank straps so I could mount the fuel tank skid plate. On the first strap (front) I ended up breaking the U-Nut (spring nut) W717470 and now it just spins with the bolt W719896. I know these bolts have blue thread lock and I did not use a bolt heater. I have not had issues in the past removing bolts with blue thread locker. So, I had the bolt backed out just about ¼” before the U-Nut broke. I have a 2020 Expedition with about 1000 miles.

I stopped at that point as I did not have the time to play with it. It would be very hard to get to the nut side so I guess I am left with drilling out the bolt or grinding off the bolt head (grinder) or cutting off the bolt head (Dremel). Anyone else have this issue and how did you remove the bolt? Any other suggests on how to remove? A little concerned due to the location to the gas tank and the sparks produced by the grinding. I do not think the tank is vented in teh area so I think it should be ok?

John Ehrhardt

Reaction score
I thought people mentioned they got the skid plate parts for $800-1000. However, I just received a $2,000 estimate from my local ford dealer. Does anyone have a recommendation on where to source these? Is there a reputable online place? I found a few and assume I'd save 50%...

Attachments

• Xerox Scan_07202020103310.pdf
    42.1 KB · Views: 28

Jeka

Reaction score
I thought people mentioned they got the skid plate parts for $800-1000. However, I just received a $2,000 estimate from my local ford dealer. Does anyone have a recommendation on where to source these? Is there a reputable online place? I found a few and assume I'd save 50%...
Wow! That's a lot! I bet you can get the set around $1k.
I usually go to rockauto.com for OEM parts, there are mixed reviews online, but I had only good experience.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharprd65