Am I overloaded? 28' Bunkhouse...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
k-bl

k-bl

Reaction score
Prior to this thread, we ended up taking this rig through I24, during a storm, at night, between Nashville and Chattanooga. This is described as the most treacherous stretch of interstate in the United States, arguably, and by Johnny Cash, because of the sharp turning and incline/decline.

It was slow going, we kept with the semi's, but the rig actually did pretty well. We loaded very light, three changes of clothes for each family member, some light groceries, and a few tools.

A couple of big things I forgot to mention were the new tires and brake controller we had on the rig as well. Both substantially helped keep things rolling very well:

The tires: https://us.coopertire.com/tires/discoverer-at3-lt
The brake controller: https://www.amazon.com/Hopkins-47297-INSIGHT-Brake-Control/dp/B00C5THYIK

We ended up driving all the way down to Florida from Indiana, and back to Indiana through the mountains of South Carolina. There were a few moments of learning what the bow wave effect was on the vehicle (Semi's sucking you into their lane). Bow wave was simply handled by never going above 65 MPH (it only takes REAL effect when going 55+MPH), and staying to the far right lane, when possible. Never at any point did any trailer sway (uncontrolled back and forth motion) occur, or feeling like the rig was out of control. We as well drove through numerous storms, none of which were too bad. BUT as soon as there was ice involved, we stayed put for a few days in a hotel.

Along the trip we did find out the front struts need replaced... They were on their way out, and at the middle of the trip, were full on needing to be replaced.

There were a few times when a "bouncy" like feeling happened, but as soon as I slowed down, it cleared up. I think a lot of this had to do with the front struts going out, in addition to the heavy load, but also there were simply some bad interstates.

In the long term, we loved the trailer, and will keep it. We will probably not go cross country often, but when we do, keep it slow, and in control. But ALWAYS with a weight distribution hitch and anti-sway. Without it, the truck simply cannot handle a load this size.

Kjhawkeye1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Prior to this thread, we ended up taking this rig through I24, during a storm, at night, between Nashville and Chattanooga. This is described as the most treacherous stretch of interstate in the United States, arguably, and by Johnny Cash, because of the sharp turning and incline/decline.

It was slow going, we kept with the semi's, but the rig actually did pretty well. We loaded very light, three changes of clothes for each family member, some light groceries, and a few tools.

A couple of big things I forgot to mention were the new tires and brake controller we had on the rig as well. Both substantially helped keep things rolling very well:

The tires: https://us.coopertire.com/tires/discoverer-at3-lt
The brake controller: https://www.amazon.com/Hopkins-47297-INSIGHT-Brake-Control/dp/B00C5THYIK

We ended up driving all the way down to Florida from Indiana, and back to Indiana through the mountains of South Carolina. There were a few moments of learning what the bow wave effect was on the vehicle (Semi's sucking you into their lane). Bow wave was simply handled by never going above 65 MPH (it only takes REAL effect when going 55+MPH), and staying to the far right lane, when possible. Never at any point did any trailer sway (uncontrolled back and forth motion) occur, or feeling like the rig was out of control. We as well drove through numerous storms, none of which were too bad. BUT as soon as there was ice involved, we stayed put for a few days in a hotel.

Along the trip we did find out the front struts need replaced... They were on their way out, and at the middle of the trip, were full on needing to be replaced.

There were a few times when a "bouncy" like feeling happened, but as soon as I slowed down, it cleared up. I think a lot of this had to do with the front struts going out, in addition to the heavy load, but also there were simply some bad interstates.

In the long term, we loved the trailer, and will keep it. We will probably not go cross country often, but when we do, keep it slow, and in control. But ALWAYS with a weight distribution hitch and anti-sway. Without it, the truck simply cannot handle a load this size.

Glad you had a good trip and vehicle towed fine. Would just be careful that you stay under the gross combined weight. If you were ever in an accident and found to be overweight, it could be a real bad deal to the pt thag insurance may not even help due to the liability of being over the safe recommended weight.

2010ELExpy4x4

Reaction score
If you use hitch mounted sway control you are supposed to turn off factory (electronic) sway control (which is always on and has to be turned off every time vehicle is started). If using factory sway control you are not to use hitch mounted.
We tow a 30 ft toy hauler Gray Wolf 22RR GVWR 7686 lb, I prefer the hitch mounted sway control(have tried both ways), I also run E rated tires, 1000/10000 WDH. Haven't had to many issues. Get buffeted behind big rigs at interstate speeds, not so bad when loaded.
Don't forget to use tow/haul mode. I also recommend Trailer Tire Pressure Monitor System.

15145.jpeg

15145.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
k-bl

k-bl

Reaction score
If you use hitch mounted sway control you are supposed to turn off factory (electronic) sway control (which is always on and has to be turned off every time vehicle is started). If using factory sway control you are not to use hitch mounted.
We tow a 30 ft toy hauler Gray Wolf 22RR GVWR 7686 lb, I prefer the hitch mounted sway control(have tried both ways), I also run E rated tires, 1000/10000 WDH. Haven't had to many issues. Get buffeted behind big rigs at interstate speeds, not so bad when loaded.
Don't forget to use tow/haul mode. I also recommend Trailer Tire Pressure Monitor System.

View attachment 40594

View attachment 40593

Nice!