Any 30'+ Travel Trailer owners out there?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm still evaluating hitches, looks like there are 5 categories...

Cheap hitches that suck all around...
Amazing hitches meant for utility trailers only- geny
Good hitches that minimize but don't prevent sway- Equalizer, Blu Ox?
Good Hitches that claim to be 'Active sway prevention ' but may just minimize it better? Reese Straight Line
Expensive good hitches with proven sway prevention- Pro Pride, Hensley

Update- After further review, I think I'm going to go with the hybrid Reese Straight Line plus GenY Torsion setup that one of the reviewers here uses with a F250 and 12k lb trailer. I already own the 10k rated GenY hitch which I used on smaller trailers that didn't need WDH.

Etrailers page on the Straight Line hitch- https://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Distribution/Reese/RP66083.html

Might have to switch to the higher tongue weight bars.

We will try towing carefully with the non max expedition we have, and re-evaluate if braking power isnt sufficient , the trailer pushes around the expy too much, or keeping payload under limit becomes impossible.

We are limited to 1537lb payload on existing expedition, should be tight..but Ill try to keep trailer weight under 7K although that might limit how many batteries, propane tanks, solar panels, or other stuff we carry.

Trying to figure out what else I can do to avoid putting too much stress on the expy.

I assume Expy plus 32ft trailer too big to go to most gas stations? I fit the expy fine with 20ft trailer in the past.

What are you talking about? The Equalizer E4 has sway control. Dont understand

Matthew Marlowe

Reaction score
My understanding (which could be wrong as I'm no expert and just watch YouTube's talk about it) is that:

- sway control can refer to any one or a combination of techniques used to avoid sway caused accidents

- The most basic level just makes it more difficult for a trailer to swing back and forth uncontrolled, using friction to slow down the angular movement.

- advanced hitches add more friction points

- newer hitches go one step more and have locks/etc to hard stop out of control sway and push the trailer to stay centered right behind tow vehicle

- The best hitches actually decouple the hitch point and push it forward so that natural wind generated sway is almost impossible . I'm still trying to understand exactly how they do it.

But, yes, the best protection is just loading the trailer right, having longer and heavier tow vehicle, and driving at slower speeds.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

Eric Wheeler

Reaction score
Well I will get in on this. Need some advice. MPG 2500BH
Floorplan Status New Floor Plan
GVWR 7,728 Lbs
Dry Weight 5,576 Lbs
Hitch Weight 728 Lbs
Carrying Capacity 2,120 Lbs
Width 8'-3/8"
Height 11'-1"
Length * 29'-11"
Square Feet 237 Sq Ft
Sleeping Capacity 7-8
Axles 2
Dealer adding a E2 W/D hitch in the deal. Should I go for a E4?
I weighed the hitch weight on the showroom floor. Approx 740
This was with two propane tanks don’t think they were filled and no battery in the tray. Should I rethink this? May payload is 1524. Me wife kid dogs stuff = 700.
Give it to me straight. Can it be done. 2016 expy EL. Hd.

FA4A6554-095C-4F77-ADAC-1FC831F0B893.jpeg

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My Salem Cruise Light T282QBXL has a GVWR of approximately 7,700 lbs. It tows ok with my 2017 EL. Just make sure you have the right amount of weight on the tongue after loading, and that your hitch is returning sufficient weight to the front axle. Also, inflate your tires appropriately and load your personal items in the trailer to preserve some of your payload. I can't speak to the sway control ability of your hitch, but the only way to know for sure is to try it and see.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's not perfect but you check front axle load restoration by measuring the fender gap before and after the WDH is hooked up. Safe travels.

jax2019

Reaction score
Out near Asheville, NC for the fall color change. Saw a 2020 Indinity QX80 (8500 max towing, 121.1" wheelbase) pulling a 37'11" Premier 34BIPR . Thats 7400lbs dry weight, 975 hitch weight.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Matthew Marlowe

Reaction score
Finally, finally started towing 265bh....

Did experience sway on windy rainy freeway...suspect the gen-y shank didn't drop enough to keep trailer perfectly level with reese straightline wdh. Probably lifted front of trailer an inch or two too high.

7000lbs
800lbs on hitch?
33ft 36818ccacd22169e97468d51b6e447d2.jpg01a0b8dcfde34b3eb5feb27ab7164ea5.jpg

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

Matthew Marlowe

Reaction score
I now have two 30-33ft trailers...

- Grand Design 265bh bunkhouse
- Grand Design 24mpr toyhauler

Both of them are configured with geny torsion plus reese straightline wdh for active anti-sway.

My expedition is the 123" wheelbase in platinum with max tow and 4x4.

What I'm noticing is:
- safe towing up to 50mph, maybe 55-60mph if straight level road but drag from passing trucks or wind are real risks with either trailer.
- any imperfections in road are causing bumpy ride
- expedition transmission really heats up on long drives with extensive downhill grade (engine braking?)
- might just be my skill level, but I'm frequently struggling to avoid hitch lock when backing up trailer at an angle.

Really struggling with whether I need an f350/f450. I damn love the expedition but I might be asking too much of it. Pro pride hitches, springs, better tires,, etc might help. But, I'm thinking that at a minimum I should have gotten the expedition max and its biting me in the ass.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk