Anyone know the heavy duty trans cooler part number?? Doing the tow upgrade myself.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am planning on doing the upgraded tow package myself as I just have the 4 pin prep package on my 16 EL.

Plan on doing the factory brake controller, and activating with ForScan. Found the wiring for the controller in the dash and the capped wire for the trailer brake at the 4 pin. Thanks to posts here. I have yet to find the best 12v lead and way to run to the battery. Have not dig around too much hope all the 7 pin stuff is just tucked somewhere already.

Heavy duty radiator (found the upgraded part number).

Can’t seem to locate on any of the online parts sites the part number for the upgraded transmission cooler.
My reading says it should be 7 rows compared to the standard 4.
The 2016 brochure also states upgraded cooler as part of the tow upgrade just can’t seem to find the proper part number.

All the sites list this part number for ALL Expeditions.

https://www.oemfordpartsdirect.com/oem-parts/ford-trans-cooler-7l1z7a095b?c=Zz1jb29saW5nLXN5c3RlbSZzPXRyYW5zLW9pbC1jb29sZXImYT1mb3JkJm89ZXhwZWRpdGlvbiZ5PTIwMTYmdD1lbC14bHQmZT0zLTVsLXY2LWdhcw==

Coming up on 50k miles so figure a good time to do all my fluids including coolant. May as well swap everything now.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
7L12-7A095-B appears to be the correct part number. I think it's been this part number for at least 10 years. No reason to change it. Just looked at my 2017 HD tow cooler and can't spot a part sticker on it.

Double check your existing cooler as you may already have it. The HD version is 7 rows and about 24" wide. I've seen pictures of 5 row by 24" coolers and the mounts may be the same.

Looks easy to unclip the hoses and mounts and get a recycled cooler.

-- Chuck

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So Im just wondering why not go for something like this.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/15-Row-Eng...ash=item3d546b23b7:g:TSIAAOSwFShawbP-&vxp=mtr
Its not like our Expeditions are ever going to become classics ( Im sure some guy in 1969 said the same thing about the Camaro) but it does seem that a cooler that has its own cooling fan would work better then a stock device.
I think the purpose of the fan is so you can install it just about anywhere you can get air flow.

Just from the pictures I have two comments:

1. I see two fan sizes, neither of which attach a duct. That design reduces its cooling ability; I also don't see a way to attach the fan....either of them.
2. They painted the fins, further reducing the heat transfer.

I wouldn't put it on my cars if someone gave it to me.

Chris Rector

Reaction score
My Ford one is painted black and its not attached to any ducting. I picked that one real quick on Ebay just for reference purposes. The fan is attached on most the same way as they do Ele fans on radiators. They use a form of zip tie.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Were you able to get the "quick connects" apart?

I have a cooler to install but couldn't for the life of me get the connections to come apart. Figured I'd stop trying before I make them leak.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharprd65