AWD Mode

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Peter L

Reaction score
Not sure about the "bucking" thing....I have noticed that there is a hesitation when accelerating from a stop when it is "deciding" to shift from 1st to second or maybe second to third. It does this in ALL conditions - dry, warm, cold, and regardless of drive mode. I find it really annoying and will tell the dealer when I take the vehicle in for replacement of the accessory tray that no longer charges the phone (the capacative charging). Problem is they are booking appointments out into mid February.....

I would also agree with LokiWOlf - I ALWAYS turn off traction cotrol when it snows or is slick. Absolutely useless - I pull from a dead stop onto a semi-divided highway with traffic at 45+ MPH....the last thing I need is for the vehicle to think it needs to cut the throttle. Scared the bejeezus out of me the first timie it happened (and I do knwo how to handle a vehicle in the snow after 45 years of driving in it).

So what is the final consesus on leaving these in the "Grass/Snow/Sand" (4A) mode - does it cause excessive wear or not? Most of my mileage is on the highway at 70+ mph and I seem to recall that Ford said to take it out of 4A (on the older versions) if traveling above 55mph.....

Anerbe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would expect the car would protect itself in driving at higher speeds in G/S/S mode. I'm sure most people will set it to get out of their neighborhood, then not think to switch it back to a normal setting on the highway.

In my '16 explorer, once I hit 50+, the 4WD power distribution screen would no longer show power being sent to the rear, and the car would act in front wheel drive mode only, no matter how much throttle I would apply. .

I believe in the Expy, along with rear power, the car will also send power to the front even at expressway speeds - you just need a bit more throttle application to activate the front (car begins to bias power to rear the faster you go).

Aerogt01

Reaction score
If you run 4A on bare road the front axle is spinning and sucking fuel. Run it in 2H when the roads clear, then use 4A when the snow shows up if it ever does.
Depending on the mode you select, the computer will actually disconnect the front axle if it doesn't sense that you need it. Watch your Off Road Power Distribution screen when just driving around normally in 4A.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Depending on the mode you select, the computer will actually disconnect the front axle if it doesn't sense that you need it. Watch your Off Road Power Distribution screen when just driving around normally in 4A.
Yes, but 4A locks the hubs and they stay locked as long as you are in 4A/4H/4L. So the shafts will still be spinning.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I would expect the car would protect itself in driving at higher speeds in G/S/S mode. I'm sure most people will set it to get out of their neighborhood, then not think to switch it back to a normal setting on the highway.

In my '16 explorer, once I hit 50+, the 4WD power distribution screen would no longer show power being sent to the rear, and the car would act in front wheel drive mode only, no matter how much throttle I would apply. .

I believe in the Expy, along with rear power, the car will also send power to the front even at expressway speeds - you just need a bit more throttle application to activate the front (car begins to bias power to rear the faster you go).
GSS is not designed for dry roads, as the power distribution is more aggressive than say 4A selected in Normal mode. Can you do it without damage, most likely yes.

Please do not compare this to a 5th Gen FWD Bias Explorer with a PTU unit. No where near the same.

Depending on mode, is how aggressive it sends to the front, or if you override by pressing the 4H/4L button, which simulates 50/50 FR split. Sport 4A, focuses on acceleration. Normal 4A is probably the most relaxed. GSS is slightly more aggressive, and M/R and Sand are basically like selecting 4H.

Hope that clears up a few things.

KenK

Reaction score
In Normal 4A when a tire starts to slip is there a delay before the system engages other wheels or is it pretty much immediate? What are the system reactions in different 4A modes? When does traction control kick in? Supposedly the system will use the eLSD under certain circumstances too, anybody have experience with this? Other than heavy rain I don't get much slippery weather and want to learn how the Expy reacts in ice and snow.

Aerogt01

Reaction score
In Normal 4A when a tire starts to slip is there a delay before the system engages other wheels or is it pretty much immediate? What are the system reactions in different 4A modes? When does traction control kick in? ... Other than heavy rain I don't get much slippery weather and want to learn how the Expy reacts in ice and snow.

I've experienced the clutch delay in the Commander, but the Exp keeps the front wheels locked in with a pretty high barrier to disconnect them. Any slip and they are quickly re-engaged.
To answer you other question the Exp is outstanding in ice and snow, dependent on tires.

Anerbe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You get more a slip /delay in Normal 4A vs. the more aggressive drive modes. Normal will try to use more the rear drive to save parasitic losses in normal driving.

Overall, still quite responsive and faster than the older slip detection technology.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've experienced the clutch delay in the Commander, but the Exp keeps the front wheels locked in with a pretty high barrier to disconnect them. Any slip and they are quickly re-engaged.
To answer you other question the Exp is outstanding in ice and snow, dependent on tires.
Again, in ANY mode other than 2H, the front wheels are always "locked" because the hubs are locked. The only thing that changes between 4A/4H/4L is how much the transfer case is sending forward to the front diff.

Red Raider

Reaction score
I hunt/camp and drive in a lot of muddy areas. I have a 2019 FX4. Most of the time 4A works just fine in most conditions......the four-wheel drive system just figures it out whether it's snow, mud, or just wet concrete. However, there has been a few times while pulling my tear drop camper off-road that I had to play with the settings to get moving again. When you have it in 4L, in the mud setting, the differential locked, and only then do you finally start crawling forward, you're happy you have the options. I leave mine in 4A virtually all the time and haven't noticed any differences in the mpg. I always left my 4X4 Armada in 4A, which I drove 200,000 miles with no issues. This is my third 4x4 Expedition that I bought new.