Bad tail light housing

Discussion in '4th Gen - 2018 - present' started by Blackscreen67, Oct 10, 2018.

1. dlcorbett

dlcorbett Full Access Members

My dads 82k escalade is the same way.

2. Randy Schmidt

Randy Schmidt Full Access Members

Mine have done the same thing. I was pissed like you when I saw it. It went away pretty quickly though...

3. Uturn

Uturn Full Access Members

Mine had a whole cup of water in the left housing when picked up from the dealer after they pressure washed it. Removed the left housing(fairly simple), removed the bulbs, drained the housing, and then used compressed air to dry. I never could find the vent holes that are supposed to be there even using compressed air. I did find that by adjusting the back of the housing outward while tightening the screws, they front corner tucks in better and it also eliminates rattles.

4. julijn

julijn Active Member

I saw one at the dealer like that and was like ...ohh ohh not that one. But if it’s in the manual...interesting design..never have see that before...might be since they are so large.

5. Blackscreen67

Blackscreen67 Born to spool

Here's the main issue. It's a cheap design and they know it. The fact they addressed it in the manual they knew it would be an issue, and as Uturn stated water can trap in there from just a basic washing.

The quality is that of a cheap ass light set one could buy from eBay for $100.

Think about this.... if it's like this new, what will they be like in 2 years.

Aftermarket lights are notorious for this, why? Because they're not designed to OEM spec, just fitment. Yet even cheap aftermarket lights are more likely to develop clearcoat issue before they have water and for issues.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  6. gordonf238

gordonf238 Full Access Members

Headlights and tail lights should be fully sealed so as to ensure that condensation does not form. Condensation diffuses the light which causes glare. Headlights and tail lights have specifically designed reflectors and projectors for various lights and condensation renders them useless. I'm also pretty sure condensation can cause premature degradation of the LED circuit boards and other electronic components.

I too have noticed fogging on the inside of my passenger-side tail light. Very pool sealing on FoMoCo's part.

7. JExpedition07

JExpedition07 Enchanted Member Supporting Member

I’ve never had condensation in the light housings on my Expedition. This is not normal and if moisture is trapped in there the freeze thaw cycles will progress aging of the plastic. Also diffuses light, stupid design. Light assemblies should be sealed like windows.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
    Blackscreen67 likes this.
  8. shane_th_ee

shane_th_ee Full Access Members

Does the owners manual of your 2007 also state that condensation is normal?

9. Habbibie

Habbibie Robot Generated Member Supporting Member

Huh, interesting thread... you learn something new every day.

10. Bow512

Bow512 Member

Ours has it just like yours after the rains here in DFW. Our Grand Cherokee headlights are vented like this and sometimes fog up for a little bit when it’s cold out, but there never is any actual moisture and liquid in them like there is in the Expy taillights. They aren’t going to stay nice and clear for long if they do this consistently.