bought a 99 5.4 was told needs new motor but doesn't even try to crank over

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
T

ThatOneMike

Reaction score
it's quite possible, but then again it is almost 20 years old and I live in a state that uses alot of salt in the winter and the trucks been here since like '03.
I really don't know what to do with it at this point .have it up on craigslist seeing if anyones interested before I pull the motor out and see if the cylinders are any good. I have the skill to do a rebuild just need the machine work done as I have no machines to do that kind of work lol. I figure if the engine is toasted I'll sell it for less than a core charge same with the trans and case then sell the interior and then have it towed to a yard...it's too bad I need a big reliable vehicle for my growing family and apart from the weird 2v shit this things pretty easy to work on. also if I can find a good rebuild kit or donor motor cheap I of course wouldn't mind tossing it in but I'm not a man of wealth so I'm gonna do whats cheapest or nets me the most return.

OP
OP
T

ThatOneMike

Reaction score
I mean I'm no metallurgist but the frame is still solid, I mean I've trusted my life to much, much worse, had a b2000 with a hole in the frame bigger than my fist and that thing lasted 6 months before the bed and frame started to basically walk itself out of alignment and become dangerous...mind you I was 17 then and didn't have to worry about my babies, but for this state id say the expy has a nominal amount of rust for the age.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I sent you a PM.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
T

ThatOneMike

Reaction score
ok so The engine will not crank over by hand (bummer) the rust on the frame and components is surface rust (mostly havent found any weak points in the frame while I have been descaling it. I tried some rustoleum on the front cross member to see how itd adhere to it..after 2 days anywhere I properly removed rust and wiped down w degreasser seems to be holding on pretty tight to the spray on rust converter. Trying to cheaply rebuild an cherry picker but harbor freight doesnt have replacement parts in store so thats an adventure.
anyway posted a wtb but might as well post here too.
looking for 4 rust free doors.
a 5.4 2v replacement.
running boards.
rear hatch rust free.

I'll post some pictures of before and after the descaling and priming

OP
OP
T

ThatOneMike

Reaction score
ok so The engine will not crank over by hand (bummer) the rust on the frame and components is surface rust (mostly havent found any weak points in the frame while I have been descaling it. I tried some rustoleum on the front cross member to see how itd adhere to it..after 2 days anywhere I properly removed rust and wiped down w degreasser seems to be holding on pretty tight to the spray on rust converter. Trying to cheaply rebuild an cherry picker but harbor freight doesnt have replacement parts in store so thats an adventure.
anyway posted a wtb but might as well post here too.
looking for 4 rust free doors.
a 5.4 2v replacement.
running boards.
rear hatch rust free.

I'll post some pictures of before and after the descaling and priming

oh and my friend and I have determined that some previous owner likely decided to take it mudding and blew something up trying to get it unstuck. I'm hoping to see if I can get the engine out this weekend and rotate the top end.

OP
OP
T

ThatOneMike

Reaction score
am I correct in assuming I need to take the cowl off to get the fenders removed? I'm thinking cowl and hood then hidden fender bolts....am I right?

OP
OP
T

ThatOneMike

Reaction score
also is there any good fixes for the door well rust? the doors ironically look ok but the wells are starting to bubble and Ive heard that rust removal priming and painting wont last too long on these.