Brake light, ABS light and traction control lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MBK2019

Reaction score
2012 Expedition EL Limited RWD, 180,000 miles. Driving yesterday and all of these lights popped on all at once. Message center says Check Brake system and service advanctrac. No driveability issues, full of fluid, everything seems to work as it should. Was thinking speed sensor or ABS sensor..just seems odd to be all at once, also may not be connected but when the blinkers are turned on there's no clicking sound while the light flashes as usual... Any ideas are appreciated.

Langer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I broke my ABS speed sensor on accident putting new struts on, I have all the same alerts. I presume the information that sensor provides is integral to the stability/advancetrac, hill descent, etc. systems. I have the part, just need the time. I’ll report back when I get it done and if it solved the alerts.

OP
OP
M

MBK2019

Reaction score
Went and got a basic ABS reader today...pulled code B1342... Can't really find any specific info on it...it's all basic info, apparently that code doesn't narrow anything down except there is a communication failure with the ECU somewhere...well...no sh*t‍♂️

mnachreiner86

Full Access Members
Reaction score
https://www.explorerforum.com/forum...ight-and-tcs-warning-traction-control.427275/

You might read through that and see if it helps but like you’re saying sounds like abs Ecu. My dads is bad on his 03 super crew and he can’t be bothered to fix it but again there’s no traction control lights to drive him nuts just the loss of abs. In your case loss of traction control snd the A4WD system depends on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
M

MBK2019

Reaction score
https://www.explorerforum.com/forum...ight-and-tcs-warning-traction-control.427275/

You might read through that and see if it helps but like you’re saying sounds like abs Ecu. My dads is bad on his 03 super crew and he can’t be bothered to fix it but again there’s no traction control lights to drive him nuts just the loss of abs. In your case loss of traction control snd the A4WD system depends on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, I'll check that out. Will most likely end up taking it somewhere to get a detailed diagnostic. I'll report back my findings.

OP
OP
M

MBK2019

Reaction score
Took it to my local, trusted mechanic this morning...looks like its ABS module, which has to be programmed by the dealer...guess I'm making a trip to the them over the next few weeks. He said it shouldn't effect the driveability just won't have anti lock brakes..

OP
OP
M

MBK2019

Reaction score
Doing some further reading and research...I found a used motorcraft abs module on ebay with a 3 yr warranty. Anybody every changed one of these? Looks easy enough to get to just not sure what all is involved.. Will this need to be re-programmed by the dealer for my vehicle and is that even possible?

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Doing some further reading and research...I found a used motorcraft abs module on ebay with a 3 yr warranty. Anybody every changed one of these? Looks easy enough to get to just not sure what all is involved.. Will this need to be re-programmed by the dealer for my vehicle and is that even possible?
I prefer this method to fix most things "electronic" related:

Me: "Call me when its done"

Ford Service Department: "Ok"

Lorlainie

Reaction score
I had the ABS and the traction control light come on last week plus the service Advancetrac message. Took to shop and found I had a left front and right rear speed control sensors that were bad. Being replaced as I write this. Good luck!

OP
OP
M

MBK2019

Reaction score
Currently at the dealership...Electronic portion of the ABS module being replaced and programmed. Should be ready tomorrow....$1100 later...‍♂️