Bypass oil filter installation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Larry McNeil

Reaction score
Got a new to me 2017 King Ranch today. 45,000 miles and beautiful! I have always installed an AMSOIL brand bypass oil filter/remote full flow filter manifold on my operating machinery. Would like to do so one this one. Having trouble locating a suitable location for it. Anyone have experience with this?

while I’m at it, I would also like to install a catch can passenger side. Same question - where to put it?

Looking forward to active exchanges on this forum! Thanks for any help!

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Got a new to me 2017 King Ranch today. 45,000 miles and beautiful! I have always installed an AMSOIL brand bypass oil filter/remote full flow filter manifold on my operating machinery. Would like to do so one this one. Having trouble locating a suitable location for it. Anyone have experience with this?

while I’m at it, I would also like to install a catch can passenger side. Same question - where to put it?

Bypass filter is probably overkill as long as you are using a good SynBlend or Synthetic oil.

Highly recommend a catch can though! JLT is the best bang for the buck out there. Check them out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Why would you want to do that?

Do what, the bypass or catch can...

Bypass is to filter the oil better. Catch can is to prevent deposits on the intake valves that are more of an issue on DI motors like the 1st Gen 3.5 EcoBoost in the 15-17’s.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
S
Do what, the bypass or catch can...

Bypass is to filter the oil better. Catch can is to prevent deposits on the intake valves that are more of an issue on DI motors like the 1st Gen 3.5 EcoBoost in the 15-17’s.

Stock filter not good enough ?

justinp16ex

Full Access Members
Reaction score

I've considered the by-pass filter, not sure if anyone on here has done it. Some people have done remote filters to make access easier.

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
By pass oil filter is way overkill if you use quality oil and proper change intervals.

If doing for easy access, makes sense.

Catch cans... one of the many reasons I won’t buy an ecoboost motor.

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
By pass oil filter is way overkill if you use quality oil and proper change intervals.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

HaHaHaHaHa!!!

ANY modern DI motor has this problem! Not new. Zero reason not to buy an EcoBoost.

The 2nd Gen 3.5 has less of an issue, because it has both Port and and Direct Injection. This is what the 4th Gen has...

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've had UOAs done with Castrol Magnatec running 9k intervals. Oil came back fine. Same results on bobistheoilguy from others. I think the bypass is likely overkill.

There are videos on Youtube of the catch can install. Many are for the F150, but engine bay layout is the same to my recollection.

I suggest plugs around 60k. Mine were causing stumbling at 100k, but more importantly the boots were done and shredded when I tried to take the plugs out. Not sure at what point they were gone, but it may be cheap insurance to check them out early.