can't shut off back-up alarm quickly on '17

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

haviland

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I trailer my '17 Limited fairly often. Did the same on my '11, but when I put it into reverse I could shut off the back up alarm easily with one push of a button.

My '17 drives me crazy when I back up and cannot disable the sound easily. I have figured how to do it, but it requires several steps involving lots of buttons and arrows.

Help! Somebody school me on how to do it easily- if there is such a way.

Thanks!

coolzzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just press the arrow down key on the steering wheel on the left hand side after putting the truck in reverse. I do it all the time when my trailer hitch is in. If you have a trailer with the 7 pin plug, the sensors are automatically disabled in reverse since the truck knows there is a trailer back there. It won't recognize a trailer is there if you're using the 4 pin plug.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just press the arrow down key on the steering wheel on the left hand side after putting the truck in reverse. I do it all the time when my trailer hitch is in. If you have a trailer with the 7 pin plug, the sensors are automatically disabled in reverse since the truck knows there is a trailer back there. It won't recognize a trailer is there if you're using the 4 pin plug.

What he said...

coolzzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't believe that adapter will trick the truck since it runs through just the 4 pin connector. Only the 7 pin connector tells the truck you have a trailer hitched up.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
I gotta try this 'cuz I never noticed the alarm on my '17 with it connected to either my camper (7 pole) or a Uhaul (4 pole) trailer. I know my '07 alarm would sound and I needed to press Reset on the dash to silence it but I just towed my camper a couple of times in the past two weeks and I don't recall anything when I backed.

I did "tell" the truck what trailer was there in both cases. There's a setup for Uhaul and another for my Roo.

-- Chuck

OP
OP
H

haviland

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I trailer with both the 4 pin and the 7 pin and it beeps every time I put it in reverse while towing, even the 7 pin. I will try pushing the down arrow the next time I tow.

I tried to enter my 3 different trailers into the system but each time I tried to complete the final step the screen went back to the beginning.

I also get a "trailer is disconnected " message on the dash when I am towing. Interesting!

coolzzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think that means it doesn't see your trailer brakes via the 7 pin connector. All of my F150s and my 17 expy with integrated brake controllers have silenced the alarm when backing up with a trailer plugged into the 7 in connector.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
Do any of your trailers have electric brakes and does the truck activate them? Everything else indicates the truck thinks there's no trailer back there.

Setting up a trailer in the left screen menu is easy but if you hit the wrong key it will take you back to the beginning.

I get the "trailer is disconnected " notice on the dash if I activate the brakes on the dash without the trailer connected.

coolzzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes it means your trailer either doesn't have electric brakes or they're not hooked up at the hitch connector correctly. I've seen there are 2 different wiring schematics for a 7 way hitch connector, maybe yours is pinned out incorrectly for the truck to recognize it. If it says trailer disconnected when you squeeze the brake controller, you need to get that looked at ASAP as it means you're doing all the braking with just the truck.