Catch Can!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I've put one in everyone of my Ecoboosts, you'd be surprised what drains out of it some days! I've not done a catch can or had issues with carbon buildup, but I run mine hard and tow regularly. If you do the weep hole expect an occasional spot on your garage floor. Usually only happens if you run it hard right before parking. If you drive normally for a bit after then it doesn't leave any spots.
Timo,

Thanks so much for the reply. I was leaning towards the weep hole. But I was concerned about possible side effects, such as loss of performance, etc. That was next on my research list. Have you heard of or experienced any issues related to adding the weep hole?

OP
OP
LokiWolf

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Loki,

Thanks for the reply. No symptoms that I can tell. Again, I’m not really a car guy. But pretty much since we purchased it new, we occasionally get some water vapor looking exhaust, especially when aggressively accelerating. My thought was that it was condensation or oil from the turbo. I was hoping a weep hole might eliminate this. Any thoughts?
That is completely normal, and most likely more a symptom of the previous owner never driving it hard. Unless it is hesitating, no issues.

Timo,

Thanks so much for the reply. I was leaning towards the weep hole. But I was concerned about possible side effects, such as loss of performance, etc. That was next on my research list. Have you heard of or experienced any issues related to adding the weep hole?
The reason Timo is seeing oil out of the weep hole, is because he does not have a catch can to prevent it from getting there in the first place. If you have a catch can, and have no other issues, no need to do the weep hole. Never done one, EVER. Had a 2015, and a 2017, and now a 2020. All with JLT catch cans installed in the 5K or less mileage window. That being said, if you drill the small hole like people recommend, it will have no performance bearing.

Reaction score
That is completely normal, and most likely more a symptom of the previous owner never driving it hard. Unless it is hesitating, no issues.

The reason Timo is seeing oil out of the weep hole, is because he does not have a catch can to prevent it from getting there in the first place. If you have a catch can, and have no other issues, no need to do the weep hole. Never done one, EVER. Had a 2015, and a 2017, and now a 2020. All with JLT catch cans installed in the 5K or less mileage window. That being said, if you drill the small hole like people recommend, it will have no performance bearing.
Thank you again! That helps explain where the oil and condensation are coming from. I can’t wait to see what ends up in the catch can.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharprd65