Compression test 01 Navigator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Fordgirl01

Fordgirl01

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’m starting to regret the oil pump swap. I know it’s the right thing to do this far into it, but I’m really having a hard time with it. I had it on once (except for the impossible bolt). I had to take a break and watched a couple of videos. I learned I should have put some oil in the pump so I took it back off and added some oil to it and worked it around. Today I can’t get the #*$@€ tube to pop up into the bottom of the pump like it did yesterday no matter how much I wiggle it or carefully pry on it. I told myself I would get that oil pump on today if nothing else.....now I’m not so sure I will even get that far[emoji2959]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Robert Wagner

Reaction score
I’m starting to regret the oil pump swap. I know it’s the right thing to do this far into it, but I’m really having a hard time with it. I had it on once (except for the impossible bolt). I had to take a break and watched a couple of videos. I learned I should have put some oil in the pump so I took it back off and added some oil to it and worked it around. Today I can’t get the #*$@€ tube to pop up into the bottom of the pump like it did yesterday no matter how much I wiggle it or carefully pry on it. I told myself I would get that oil pump on today if nothing else.....now I’m not so sure I will even get that far[emoji2959]

Patience will prevail and be rewarded! You got this!

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My advice is coming from someone limited to small engines and air cooled VW engines. I confess that I would be so intimidated by now that I would be wildly waving a stack of Benjamin's at the nearest Certified Ford Engine mechanic to step in and finish. But then again I would be questioning their work and looking over their shoulder.

I would think the normal course of action would be to finish the replacement of the rockers and followers on the affected cylinder head before proceeding. Removal of the other side rockers and followers seems unusual and unnecessary. Yes they need to be lined up.

Then proceed carefully finding TDC for the crank and as well the exact valve timing for the camshafts. Measure three times. Question my work, measure again. And perhaps again.

Then at the end turning the crank by hand through all modes of intake, compression, ignition, exhaust etc 8 times feeling and looking for interference or valve timing error.

I got intimidated from buying a Porsche 928 with a minor oil leak at the head gasket when I saw all of the expensive jigs required to hold the cams and chains in place when R and R the cylinder head.

I will step away and let the experts weigh in!

"Now I have a question on the camshafts. The shafts on the side I haven’t put the rockers/roller followers back in yet seem right be in the correct position according to the video I watched. The other side that I never had to disassemble, the cam shafts seem to be a bit off. Do I have to take the roller followers off of that side and line up the cams? "

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Loosen the oil pump retaining bolts so you have some movement in the oil pump and that should give you some flexibility with the pipe. You should see a hex spot at the middle of the camshafts where you can put a big crescent wrench on to turn the cams that little bit to put 'em in the right spot.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fordgirl01

Fordgirl01

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Loosen the oil pump retaining bolts so you have some movement in the oil pump and that should give you some flexibility with the pipe. You should see a hex spot at the middle of the camshafts where you can put a big crescent wrench on to turn the cams that little bit to put 'em in the right spot.

I have loosened the bolts, taken the pump off and put it back on again more times than I care to admit! No matter how much I try to wiggle the SOB, that tube won’t go where it needs to be. I can feel it fall into place when I put the pump on but it won’t seat in there far enough. I’m sure it will eventually just magically decide to cooperate when I discover the proper sequence of swearing and wiggling-hopefully soon.

Ok-so I can move the cams a bit without taking anything apart....good news! I will definitely look for that spot for my big crescent wrench.

Thanks for the help!

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Has the pickup tube "ever" fit in that oil pump's inlet in any of your off/on events ? Did you compare the new pump's inlet to the pump you took off ? 'Cause it should just pop in with no issues.

OP
OP
Fordgirl01

Fordgirl01

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Has the pickup tube "ever" fit in that oil pump's inlet in any of your off/on events ? Did you compare the new pump's inlet to the pump you took off ?

Yes-the first time I had it on yesterday it went down onto it and I had all bolts in except the really difficult one (I should have left well enough alone, but I hadn’t put oil in the pump). Today I even tried putting the old pump back on wondering if that one would drop onto the tube. That one wouldn’t either.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharprd65