coolant leaking at coil pack

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

watsonj8

Reaction score
Have a 99 expy 5.4 liter. At the number 3 coil pack collant is coming up when you idle the engine up. The coil pack is on and i increased the rpm and coolant flowed vertical from roughly the back right side of the coil pack. What could it be? No white smoke from exhaust pipe, antifreeze is fine, and engine oil level is good with no bubbles. Ford dealer said it was a cracked head

rburch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Dealer could be correct! but you would think that it would leak into the cylinder also!

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Heater hose are right in that vicinity. Make sure there is not a pin hole in one. Think that would be more likely than cracked head. There is also a coolant passage on the back corner of intake. If you rule those out as possible source that leaves only the heads. :(

Can you make video and post??

Last edited:

Expeditionary

Full Access Members
Reaction score
:pics-****:

THIS THREAD IS USELESS WITH OUT PITCHERS!

lol JK, its more likely a leaking coolant hose than a cracked head... update.

Welcome to the forum and hello from FLA

BARRMAN

Reaction score
I don't think that is the engine head. I Had a similar issue on my 2000 expedition where the manifold, which is plastric, cracked and fluid was slowly leaking onto the top of the engine and then leaking into the spark plug holes. That was about $1000 repair.

rewarder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Same thing happened to me when I went to pick up my 99 Expy in SoCal last weekend. the engine would "stutter" or miss at around 55 -70 mph. It seemed like it was missing like a distributer cap or wires were bad. But since my 5.4L Triton has those coil packs, we found out that the heater hose on the passenger side next to the firewall had a small leak and was dripping onto one of the coils on the right side (passenger) in the back. The coil connector had some rust in it. We replaced the bad coil and replaced the heater hoses. Those heater hoses are tricky because they use proprietary connectors from ford so there are no hose clamps. The heater hose costs a few bucks but worth taking a look at. The leak was soo small that it virtually undetectable. Those coils in the back are hard to get to also. - Hunter

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
its the heater hose. same thing happened to me. very common! happened on coil #4 for me. but get the pin hole fixed and your good to go. and change the coil too. forgot to say that.

Marv02

Reaction score
I just got done pulling and reinstalling the intake it not a bad job I also pulled the Heater tube out and pressured tested it with some air pressure and water checked out to be good.

My leak was a bad intake gasket cost gasket from Napa $50.00 $30.00 in coolant and about 7 hours of time but It took me a couple day I was not in a hurry just worked on it after work for a hour or two until it was done.

The hardest part at removing and reinstaling the stupid bolts on back of the Passenger side head that hold the heater tube on.

rewarder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I can imagine, that thing is packed in there. I was hoping it was your heater hose. Easy fix. Glad you got it worked out.