Cracked windshield - Warranty?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlackedOutFox

Reaction score
This crack (seen in the photo) appeared out of nowhere this morning while parked at a gas station. It appears that the crack is “inside” the windshield glass - it’s not on the surface on the inside or outside of the vehicle. It also appears there is something loose inside this housing behind the mirror (I’m assuming this is where the Cruise Control Sensor is located).

Has anyone else experienced this? Should I expect this to be covered under warranty? The Expy only has 7,000 miles. I’ll be calling Ford tomorrow, but wanted to be prepared for whatever they may say.

Attachments

• 1F24EF7C-E158-4554-A161-A59BA298E7EE.jpeg
    1F24EF7C-E158-4554-A161-A59BA298E7EE.jpeg
    76.9 KB · Views: 36

Rob6805

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yea, that definitely looks like a failure of the glass itself and not damaged by an outside source (rock).

Emilner

Reaction score
I have a similar funky crack at the base of the windshield that starts under the cowl and comes up 3 inches, across 8 inches and back down- dead center. It's totally hidden by the wipers. Seems like a defect.

OP
OP
B

BlackedOutFox

Reaction score
I was able to take a closer look today. There’s a small nick in the glass where the crack spiders outward from; probably from road debris and then just cracked later. Safelite will be replacing tomorrow through my insurance. I just hope they do a decent job.

Rob6805

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was able to take a closer look today. There’s a small nick in the glass where the crack spiders outward from; probably from road debris and then just cracked later. Safelite will be replacing tomorrow through my insurance. I just hope they do a decent job.

If at all possible I would not use Safelite. Call your dealer and ask who they used for glass replacement. Bet it isn't Safelite.

OP
OP
B

BlackedOutFox

Reaction score
If at all possible I would not use Safelite. Call your dealer and ask who they used for glass replacement. Bet it isn't Safelite.

They aren’t my first choice and I tried using another company. I live in an area where the options are Safelite or another local outfit. The local outfit can’t get me in until at least 2 weeks. Safelite said tomorrow. Due to the safety reasons I need it fixed asap.

OP
OP
B

BlackedOutFox

Reaction score
You may ask Safelite to use the OEM Ford noise-cancelling glass instead of their own branded import garbage.

I didn’t even consider that. Thanks for the info.

EDIT: I just checked their work order on my appointment. They have OEM parts listed. I’ll make a note to verify before they install.

Last edited:

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I didn’t even consider that. Thanks for the info.

EDIT: I just checked their work order on my appointment. They have OEM parts listed. I’ll make a note to verify before they install.

Earlier this year I used Safelite to replaced my cracked windshield at the recommendation of my insurance company. Original windshield with the sound screen glass. I purchased the vehicle new.

Safelite did a terrible job and used an aftermarket windshield, despite my asking for OEM glass. They damaged the plastic air inlet grille (under windshield wipers) and applied excessive black sealer on the right side, which oozed out from behind the A-pillar trim.

Their follow-up customer service was very poor.

Ensure they are using OEM glass PRIOR to the installation, and inspect everything before you leave (under the hood too, as that is where the air inlet grille fasteners are removed).

I will never use Safelite for any repair.