Disappointing 4WD performance on snow.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lou Hamilton

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When I saw the Expedition came with Hankooks, I was happy... Until the first drive in wet, slippery conditions.

The Dynapro HT are nothing like the Dynapro AT-M's. I ran, and loved, the AT-Ms that I had on my Honda Pilot. Granted, the AT-M's were the LT model and not the P model, so they had the extra ply's and rigidity of e light truck tire. I considered going with AT-Ms, but they did not come in the size that I wanted... and I was hesitant on maybe the newer tires quality compared to the ones that I had bought in 2016/2017 for the Pilot.

carymccarr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
are you saying that if we replace our tires with an exact “oem” tire , the tire we purchase as customer to replace it has physically different properties / is technically different than the identical “looking” factory provided tire?

i find this hard to believe - if someone has a flat and purchases a single supposedly identical tire - if the tire wasn’t 100% identical in structure & material, there would be serious safety concerns with a single tire replacement - especially when considering rubber compound & related traction issues with “unmatched” tires -

any additional info to help back up this claim?

Yeah I’d love to see some verifiable information on this as well. With fords history regarding bad tires it would surprise me if they cut corners here.

With that said it’s not uncommon for large manufacturers or distributors to have a model that’s made specifically for them. Big box stores many times have a name brand make a special TV, snowblower, mower or other item specifically for them that can’t be had anywhere else (think “door buster” Black Friday deals).

I’ve just never seen anything around tires on this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Factory tires are often built specific for a Manufacturer like Ford. They build them with minimal tread depth and anything they can to save money on the tires. Anytime you replace tires you can purchase another set of those tires, or you can buy a quality set.....

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Factory tires are often built specific for a Manufacturer like Ford. They build them with minimal tread depth and anything they can to save money on the tires. Anytime you replace tires you can purchase another set of those tires, or you can buy a quality set.....
Many years ago, I worked for one of the big tire/wheel shops. It was very common to have tow identically branded tires with the same model that were different. The vehicle manufacturers often contracted to have "special" ones made that didn't have exactly the same tread depth, etc. They would have the same tread pattern, but different depth. It was easy to tell because the DOT cert numbers would differ since they have to be tested/tracked differently for recalls etc. I haven't worked there for 20 yrs, so I suppose things could be different but I doubt it.

Anerbe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OE Factory tires have different requirements in development cars vs market / replacement spec tires. Often times, OE tires have additional requirements (rolling resistance, NVH, loaded handling, etc...) which can be a trade off to what end consumers perceive as a good tire (traction/longevity). You typically can’t have it all. And if there’s a particular tire that seems to be good at everything - trust that there is a major deficiency somewhere in its performance, although you might never put the tire in this condition.

Do OEM’s get the end consumer expectation wrong? yes it happens. Are they all cheaper specs? Not really - you get some benefits in the volume scale, but often time OE developed tires drive replacement tech.

Backinblack

Reaction score
I agree with others. The OEM tires are garbage.
My advise is to check the window sticker and make sure you are getting what you are paying for. Our 2018 4x4 stated it came with AT tires and actually had all season highway tires. I made sure to point that out before the deal and after complaining at several levels they put on Goodyear Wrangler AT's with Kevlar.

carymccarr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When I saw the Expedition came with Hankooks, I was happy... Until the first drive in wet, slippery conditions.

The Dynapro HT are nothing like the Dynapro AT-M's. I ran, and loved, the AT-Ms that I had on my Honda Pilot. Granted, the AT-M's were the LT model and not the P model, so they had the extra ply's and rigidity of e light truck tire. I considered going with AT-Ms, but they did not come in the size that I wanted... and I was hesitant on maybe the newer tires quality compared to the ones that I had bought in 2016/2017 for the Pilot.

Just checked. Mine were hanooks too. I’ve never had less confidence in a tire than those. I’ve had the backend get loose on me on on and off ramps even when I’m being conservative. Anything other than bone dry and they feel scary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

grumpyoleman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My '18 XLT came with Michelin's 18".
I am impressed with their capability through one full winter plus. I do not do any heavy off roading but I do drive through some heavy snow and the Expy hasn't failed me yet.

caplanm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Tires make all of the difference in the world. My 2018 Expedition Platinum came with Hankook Dynapro's. My previous 2015 Expedition Platinum came with Pirelli Scorpion Verde Plus 22" tires. Both the Hankook's and Pirelli's are All Season tires meant for a smooth ride. There is a major difference between the two tires. Both are the same 22" size. The Hankook's are absolutely terrible on wet and any kind of snow. My experience with the Pirelli's was much better. They did much better in rain and snow. Not to mention that they were so much quieter at high speeds. I suspect that Ford made the move to Hankook because of price. Their quote to Ford was probably significantly lower than other brands. You'd think Ford would splurge a little bit for tires on a $80K vehicle. I totally enjoy my 2018 Platinum, expect for the Hankook tires and the stupid auto stop/start which you can't permanently turn off.

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My advise is to check the window sticker and make sure you are getting what you are paying for. Our 2018 4x4 stated it came with AT tires and actually had all season highway tires. I made sure to point that out before the deal and after complaining at several levels they put on Goodyear Wrangler AT's with Kevlar.
Me, too! That’s exactly what I did and what they (eventually) put on. The wranglers meet my expectations for an OEM AT tire. My next tires will likely be the aforementioned KO/2s.