Distance Indication Feature

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MostlyHarmless

Reaction score
I tried an experiment last night and had the Collision detection set to highest sensitivity. Then I strung a tarp across my driveway and drove at it.

So the net is that that the system did work. The thing I didn't like is that the warning kicked in way after I would naturally like to to be breaking and honestly much later than I think it should be activating.

Perfect conditions, perfect surface at 20mph and it only just stopped the car. I have zero confidence that it would stop me in time in wet or slippery conditions. It just doesn't seem to be as good as other manufacturers similar systems in giving you plenty of warning.

Having said that, it is better than nothing, and to Blackscreen67s point above we should never allow ourselves to drive on tech rather than our own ability. It is, however, the only thing so far on the Expedition that I don't think has been engineered as well as it could be

Mark

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I believe its delayed because ford got dinged for over sensitivity for these features when first introduced in other models. I agree, for a 6k lb elephant, it needs to be a tad more sensitive.

Garrett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
On the flip side, my wife’s keep brakes for me all the effing time even in low sensitivity. I may have pooped my pants once.

I have not experienced it in the ford yet. It brakes for you right?

Did anyone figure out the colors? Maybe they only light up when going over a certain speed?

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
On the flip side, my wife’s keep brakes for me all the effing time even in low sensitivity. I may have pooped my pants once.

I have not experienced it in the ford yet. It brakes for you right?

Did anyone figure out the colors? Maybe they only light up when going over a certain speed?

The colors have never ever come on for me in any circumstance. Nor is the setting even available on the menu.

I’m wondering if maybe it’s only available if you DON’T have the driver assistance package. For instance, perhaps if you have that package and the automatic braking that comes with it, you don’t get the colors...and vice versa. You know, one replaces the other.

It’s just very strange that it’s not even an option on my platinum even though the manual clearly says it should be.

Rotorhead451

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In my experience, I don't think the automatic braking is anything close to maximum. When it activated, I awoke from my dreamy cruising and promptly applied my anti-lock brakes manually forthwith. I appreciate this feature . . .

Kmdcolo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2018 Platinum F150 and a 2018 Platinum Expedition Max. I can tell you that there is some difference between the dash displays. My F150 will indicate that there is a vehicle in front of me even when not using adaptive cruise. The car in front of me will be highlighted yellow or red depending on my distance and the speed I am traveling + distance. Some of the 8" display menus are different too. My F150 doesn't show the actual temperature of the transmission, only the gauge. I have tweaked this using Forscan. I'll post some pictures tomorrow.

Garrett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Tried with my platinum Expy today. No success getting the colors to display. The only time it has ever lit us is when I’m about to run over something at a considerable speed.