do i have the hd tow package?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

texasbred

Reaction score
My 2012 XLT premium has the trans cooler, both plug types and the plug for the brake controller but 3.31 non LSD. From the brochure link posted I'm guessing the 3.73s were only an option because of the new(at the time) 6 speed transmission? Because every place I see HD Tow package it doesn't list 3.73s as part of it. Only as another option below. Sorry if its common knowledge, still learning the ins and outs of the Expedition lol.

I've never had any trouble towing with it, we are fixing to buy a camper and the Expedition will be the tow vehicle. I've towed a tournament loaded bass boat with lots of extra gear inside the truck a few times, towed a couple of cars with it. Always had plenty of power and plenty of gear with the 6R80

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
You have HD Tow, no question.

3.73 axle is not part of the HD Tow package many years. 3.73 LS was part of HD Tow on my '07 but not on my '17 which does just fine with the 3.31 axles. Perhaps the increased torque of the 3.5EB engine vs the 5.4V8 is a factor and the late ECU can do lots of things like directing torque to different wheels. Pretty sure it's an additional option and is in HD Tow some years. It may be standard at some trim levels or the Lane Bryat version. Review the several Ford Towing Guides if you really want to know. :)

Max towing capacity is not affected by the axle ratio in my '17 -- 9200 pounds regardless.

-- Chuck

Joe S

Reaction score
Mystery: my 2012 limited 4x4 has the HD tow package and trailer sway control as I have the original window sticker. Verified it has heavy duty radiator, included the auxiliary transmission oil cooler, the four and seven pin connector, an electric brake controller connection/wiring only and I had to add my own controller as the service guy told me the 2012 didn't come with one until FORD added in 2013 model...except, it only has the 3.31 gears?? didn't they original come with 3.73 differential standard on HD towing package??

mr_dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2013 Limited and also assumed the HD towing package included 3.73 gearing. Apparently not since I have a 3.31 open diff.

Joe S

Reaction score
They didn't offer a controller until 2013. I have a 2012 Limited 4x4 with 3.31 gears and I had to get an after market controller although my limited was wired and pigtailed for a controller....I bought mine new off the lot otherwise if I had ordered it, i would have ordered the 3.73 gears but I was told a controller wasn't available only aftermarket

Brons2

Reaction score
Check out this thread. First response is from someone who had the 5.4 and 3.5 turbo.

I haven't used the 3.73, and I'm sure it's an improvement, but I'm also sure it's not necessary for me since I've been towing 7K fine without it for 3 years. Very rarely have I felt I lacked for power, as I'm not driving around constantly flooring the accelerator. I don't always have the tach up in the gauge cluster, but I think I rarely go north of 4,000 RPM. I've used full power to merge or pass in heavy a traffic a few times, but you can imagine I'm not doing much passing towing 7K. Even with me traveling a max of 67 mph (trailer tires are only rated to 65), I do occasionally happen upon vehicles traveling even slower. My vehicle is rated for 9K in this configuration.

The only reason I would really want the 3.73 is if I frequently towed steep grades, and more for engine braking than acceleration. As it stands, I've towed some grades traveling between Houston, San Diego, and Las Vegas, NM and didn't have any issues. But it wasn't any Ike caliber challenge. I'm in Portland, TX right now and there was a stiff headwind on the way here. I only got 7 mpg instead of the 9 mpg I normally get with my speed between 60 and 65. The truck was in 5th most of the way, and may have picked 6th if I had not locked it out. I heard locking out the higher gears can provide improved mpg, but obviously it didn't work this time around. But I can't tell if it was because of the headwind, or my gear selection.
Wow. I towed a pallet of bricks with my 2010 Navigator and while I'm not sure how much that weighed, it felt way underpowered. I had to give it 3/4 throttle to get up a small hill at 55. The brakes were inadequate also, to the point of, I would not tow with it again without a brake upgrade.

To take a TT out to the West Coast like it seems you have done, I would have to do something to the motor to feel comfortable with it. At least a tow tune.

FryerTime

Reaction score
Isn't the "Tow" function on the round drive type selector only on the tow package, as well as the trailer backup assist? I'd say if you have both of those then you have the tow package.