Eliminate Sun Glare from Hood Bulge?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Reminds me why airplanes have flat black surfaces just outside the windows (despite the kool Ray Bans).

Regarding this, and the Expedition hood - non-glare paint (anti specular reflection if your nasty) is available in every color. Black is most common for aesthetic and historical/nostalgia reasons but is slowly becoming a thing of the past. Advances in windshields are partly to credit.

Look at Southwest Airlines for example. Most, but not all, of the tan over red/orange fleet had black below the windshields. Same exact 737 aircraft today wear blue over red livery, no black up front. On American's fleet, when they were polished aluminum and had red/white/blue stripes, the blue at the nose was matte. Today they are all painted white with no black on the nose.

In addition to the advice of using PlastiDip and vinyl on your hood for minor and occasional glare, and the really far fetched suggestion of using sunglasses, I'll offer my own. Remove the hood. Drive in reverse exclusively. Squint. Close your eyes. Only drive east after 3:00. Hit your hood with 300 grit sandpaper. Tell the sun to talk to the hand.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
In addition to the advice of using PlastiDip and vinyl on your hood for minor and occasional glare, and the really far fetched suggestion of using sunglasses, I'll offer my own. Remove the hood. Drive in reverse exclusively. Squint. Close your eyes. Only drive east after 3:00. Hit your hood with 300 grit sandpaper. Tell the sun to talk to the hand.

You win! That was GREAT!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The glare from that spot can be blinding if it the sun hits it just right. I have polarized sunglasses and it doesn't help. Fortunately, it's only a problem on rare occasions, but when it happens this can be a real PITA. I think matte black vinyl wrap might be the easiest solution.

Funny how little things like this can be an issue. On our 2018, we have chromed side mirrors. The reflections there are visible in your peripheral vision and can be quite distracting. I'm considering replacing the mirror covers for that reason.