Engine Noise 2017 Expedition Limited Max

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JoeM

Reaction score
2017 Expedition Limited Max with 202,100 miles.
Truck runs great but makes the engine noise heard in the attached video link
Noise is constant...no loss of power, no loss of fuel efficiency
Have checked all the obvious items.....water pump ,serpentine belt, idler pulleys etc.
Have a 2023 on order with a March production schedule,.
Need to keep this one running for a few more months at least.
Any ideas on what's causing noise would be appreciated
I don't think its the cam phasers
Thanks

Expy Enging noise

Last edited:

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That sounds like something is loose and rattling...maybe a heat shield? Does the pitch change at all with engine speed? I had another vehicle that made a similar sound and it turned out to be the exhaust manifold heat shield. A fastener came loose and it was just wobbling around.

OP
OP
J

JoeM

Reaction score
That's what I thought at first but have crawled all over the engine compartment and underneath as well as well and everything is tight
Noise changes with engine speed but does not seem to keep speed with the engine RPM

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It certainly sounds rotational, metallic and grinding as opposed to just a rattle. Is it constant? i.e. does not go away after warmup? I'd like to see a video with the RPM increasing from Idle to say 2000.

Possibly a water pump impeller or other accessory device or pulley.
Also sounds like front or top of engine, it could be a valve train component ready to fail.

OP
OP
J

JoeM

Reaction score
The noise is constant ,and does not go away. It gets louder but not in sync with RPM
I made a 200 mile round trip across Florida ( Alligator alley ) at speeds up to 85 MPH and it ran great, good acceleration, usual mileage of 17 MPG
I had someone supposedly ( I was not present ) remove the serpentine belt and run for a few minutes and the noise was still there . That would rule out water pump, idler pulley and alternator
I will get a video this morning with increased RMP and post
Thanks for the input

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The noise is constant ,and does not go away. It gets louder but not in sync with RPM
I made a 200 mile round trip across Florida ( Alligator alley ) at speeds up to 85 MPH and it ran great, good acceleration, usual mileage of 17 MPG
I had someone supposedly ( I was not present ) remove the serpentine belt and run for a few minutes and the noise was still there . That would rule out water pump, idler pulley and alternator
I will get a video this morning with increased RMP and post
Thanks for the input

I listened to your audio recording. It immediately reminded me of the following:

When I was learning to drive in my father's 1966 Oldsmobile Delta 88 4-door (yes, quite some ago) - I hit a piece of debris in the roadway, and the engine began making a similar noise. My father was a passenger and I was driving.

We took the car to the gas station I worked at and put it on a lift. We found the flywheel cover had been dented slightly, and the flywheel gear teeth were slightly grinding on the cover.

We removed the cover - used a peen hammer to push out the dent and reinstalled it.

I have a 2015 Expedition Limited 4x4 - but I'm not familiar with the flywheel engine cover.

Is it possible the cover has moved or been dented, causing the noise?

OP
OP
J

JoeM

Reaction score
Link to updated video clip with increased RPM
It really sounds as if its coming from the top center of the engine , under the black plastic intake ( ? ) manifold that is under the protective cover

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

JoeM

Reaction score
99 White

Thanks for the suggestion/input but I have crawled underneath my truck and checked all covers, clamps, shields ect and it all looks good

I know noise travels , but it distinctly sounds like it coming from the top center of the engine around the black plastic intake , but not a valve or lifter noise

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharprd65