Engine removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Canyon Man

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,
Well, thanks to the wife, I know need to pull the engine out of my 2000 expedition (5.4) and replace it with one from the salvage yard. She neglected to check the oil. So, since I am laid off with more time than money I need to do the work. Does anyone have any advice or precautions or anything I need to know before I start this daunting task. I looked through the diy and did not notice anything on the subject. I also did a forum search under engine removal and did not notice anything there either. So any inout will be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys

timberwoof

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Take pictures and use a lot of plastic baggies for the bolts and label everything. Take your time and do it right the first time.

OP
OP
C

Canyon Man

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's why I'm here. I've done motor swaps before, usually toyota, older f150 and this is how I usually start. I get everyones input and then I give er. I will be starting the job tomorrow bright and early.:favorites13:

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
remove the hood! remove everything that is in the way you dont need. battery, intake, hoses that sort of thing. and since you've done it before you know the basics.

timberwoof

Full Access Members
Reaction score
For certain items I used cardboard and stuck the bolts in it in the pattern they came out so I wouldn't forget. That helped quite a bit. Of course my experience was with a 96 jeep. So not as complicated as our engines.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When you do it I'd appreciate pics of the chain attachment points and clearance when coming over the radiator/grill. I've got the same job in the near future.

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
I have done this. I will pm you my cell phone # so if you have any questions feel free to call. Half the engine sits under the firewall so you have to remove accessories and radiator to get the clearance to pull it forward. I left the condensor (a/c radiator) because it is far enough forward. I did not have to pull apart any a/c connections. The compressor can be moved out of the way once you detach it from the motor. I found I also had to remove bumper and front facia to get the engine lift far enough back towards the firewall to lift. I removed everything from the intake up to get the clearance to lift. I have many photos if you need to see anything in particular.

If you lived closer I still have my stock 5.4 long block with appr..104,000 miles on it. I always used synthetic since I owned it and it did not burn any oil. Only issue was exhaust manifold leak due to rusted off stud.

Last edited:

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
can a 2002 5.4 fit in my 1997 5.4? or will i have to make mods?

Same size motor and both are 2V but the 2002 has the PI intake and heads vs the non pi for the 1997. There are likely differences in the tune?!

Last edited: