Exhaust system question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

seeker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2002 xlt 5.4. I want to get a little more sound from the exhaust system. Not the full out "Lets race for pinks" sound but something that says
"OK, There just might be something there". I"m looking for some advice. I really would like a nice sound at idle that will not drone out conversation but has an aggressive sound when opened up. Any advise would be helpful.

1) should i lose the resonator?
2) What muffler would you go with?
3) What have you done and how it is working for you?

Thanks for your input.

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my current system is exactly what your looking for.... loud when I step on gas, idle sounds nice not too loud and barely any drone while driving.... i took off back two cats, cut factory Y, ran true dual with flowmaster 40 series.... might be a bit more than you wanna do but I love the sound of flowmaster 40s... maybe you could replace stock with one and run straight pipe after it to lose resonator... I have ran straight pipe before but get a lot of drone... so I would go for a nice free flow muffler to keep drone to a minimum.

OP
OP
S

seeker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey walnuts 4x4.
Thanks for the good advise. I believe that the resonator will stay. I have used
flowmasters before on a convertible Mustang. The drone on trips over a couple of hours wears on me. What do you know about the magnaflows that seem to be heavy in the aftermarket?

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have heard good things but I love flowmaster... maybe instead of a 40 series look into the super 44... buddy has one on his silverado and he wants 40s... says 44 is quieter than the 40 which i have... you can always search youtube for videos people put up for different exhausts.... but mine with 40 series I barely hear it when cruising...

joshuajack

Reaction score
Check your local emissions laws language (if you are unfortunate enough to have that around you). Removing any emissions equipment without replacing what came with the car will render your tag "unrenewable" (and it makes the car "smelly" as my kids say). As an alternative, Magnaflow makes high flow catalytic converter which will improve flow by up to 40%. That is what I am actually having done today, matter-of-fact.