Expedition Max vs standard size

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Paul M

Reaction score
The F150 supercrew 5.5 bed was 8-10 inches longer than the Expy max we replaced it with and so much tighter turning radius! It's only the wife and I now but I'd buy a max every time, everyday! But I'll admit I'm very fortunate, when I park the Expy Max in the garage I still have 5+ feet from bumper to wall, which is enough for our storm shelter - because Oklahoma...

Last edited:

Blue87GT

Reaction score
We strongly considered gulping down our pride and getting a minivan, but they just do not have sufficient cargo space for a stroller with all rows up. With four kids (two babies) it meant that we needed a very large SUV.

Also mcb345-my garage is very large, but no doubt would not fit the Expy with a roof mounted cargo box.

OP
OP
M

mcb345

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We strongly considered gulping down our pride and getting a minivan, but they just do not have sufficient cargo space for a stroller with all rows up. With four kids (two babies) it meant that we needed a very large SUV.

Also mcb345-my garage is very large, but no doubt would not fit the Expy with a roof mounted cargo box.

My garage would give me about 1.5 ft between the wall and squeezing through with the Max or Navigator L so I’m very very hesitant. Not sure how easy that would be with an infant car seat and just daily life in general as the car has to go in that stall and that’s a tight squeeze with babies or groceries in hand, daily!

Noway the roof mounted box gets in my garage either but I’d maybe use it 3x per year for long road trip, Christmas, week long vacations, etc.

Blue87GT

Reaction score
View attachment 42370 The F150 supercrew 5.5 bed was 8-10 inches longer than the Expy max we replaced it with and so much tighter turning radius! It's only the wife and I now but I'd buy a max every time, everyday! But I'll admit I'm very fortunate, when I park the Expy Max in the garage I still have 5+ feet from bumper to wall, which is enough for our storm shelter - because Oklahoma...
Yep-I moved from Edmond (USAF) two years ago, but still have a home near Bryant and Sorghum Mill roads--we miss the city badly.

grumpyoleman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Now, if you need to schlepp children while also towing something or need to schlepp children over bad forest service roads, the minivan will fail you. But if those aren't your use cases, go with the minivan.

Not applicable to everyone, but if your kid schlepping involves traveling in any white stuff ... dump the minivan. My first winter in Dakota, wifey's minivan stayed in the driveway 90% of the time.

Rob6805

Full Access Members
Reaction score
For me it comes down to if you are regularly going to use the 3rd row or not. If so, the standard length doesn't leave much room for stuff in the cargo area (especially 4 legged friends). If you will operate with the 3rd row folded most of the time it's not as big of an issue.

That was our deciding factor in getting the std wheelbase (and fitting in the garage). Our 3rd row is always folded down.

OP
OP
M

mcb345

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That was our deciding factor in getting the std wheelbase (and fitting in the garage). Our 3rd row is always folded down.

Yea we’ll be using the smaller 3rd row seat eventually for my then 6 year olds booster when we have our 3rd kid but for garage fit for the Max or Navi L will be TIGHT. As I said before it’s about 18” to squeeze through the car and wall if I back it in, hit my speed bump and just barely close the garage door.

Is it worth dealing with that tight ass garage everyday for the extra foot or better to just deal with a slightly more compact cargo area once a week when I actually put stuff in the trunk….

mwl001

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I suppose when you think of it that way a Max seems like a nuisance… we were going Max or crew cab pickup which was going to require a notch in the garage wall to fit so getting the Max in seemed easy by comparison!

OP
OP
M

mcb345

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I suppose when you think of it that way a Max seems like a nuisance… we were going Max or crew cab pickup which was going to require a notch in the garage wall to fit so getting the Max in seemed easy by comparison!

Yea I’d prefer not to have to buy a new house to fit my car haha.

byathread

Full Access Members
Reaction score

If I were you, I'd do the big kid seat in the 3rd row in the current ride with larger side down and see if that fits the needs. Also sounds like a nice part for you is you have time to realize that lots of door dings or a minivan is in your future as a father of 3. [emoji12]

-father of 4 w/minivan and expy (youngest is 5)

Believe at least Toyota makes an all wheel drive minivan if not others at this point, so, that point about snow doesn't really hold up unless your location is very rural with huge snowfall/minimal plowing. That said, there is nothing like a full sized four wheel drive SUV for bad weather conditions...