Expedition Max vs standard size

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I wanted a max, but wifey was like, "our swb nav is good enough, we don't need a max". Then there were moments the max would've been handy. I'm pretty sure our next one will be a max. I'll tell ya, we have an 18 armada now. It's nice, and it was def quieter and has better ambiance than the expy did, but all in, does not compete to the expy well.

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes but at the expense of towing stability (wheelbase) and range (fuel capacity). May have been tongue in cheek so YMMV.

Yeah, just stirrin the pot! Glad Ford offers a choice, I suspect due to direct competition from short and long wheelbased GM triplets. We'll see how long before Jeep announces a long wheelbase Wagoneer/Grand Wagoneer.

OP
OP
M

mcb345

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah, just stirrin the pot! Glad Ford offers a choice, I suspect due to direct competition from short and long wheelbased GM triplets. We'll see how long before Jeep announces a long wheelbase Wagoneer/Grand Wagoneer.

I believe they already have plans to launch the long wheelbase ASAP. Will be huge inside too. Already running with 27 cubic feet behind 3rd row and 71 behind 2nd row.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I believe they already have plans to launch the long wheelbase ASAP. Will be huge inside too. Already running with 27 cubic feet behind 3rd row and 71 behind 2nd row.

I believe its slated for my23 according to their product plans.

CharlyG

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I downgraded from an Excursion to a normal Expedition. It feels like I'm driving a Bronco!

Expedition Dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
TLDR;

While it is often the size when driving in tight confines like parking, U-turns and off-road--but the wheelbase length makes a difference too.
I drive Tahoes and Suburbans all the time, and the difference due to wheelbase is quite substantial. Never driven a MAX but I would guess most of the same rules apply--but if you need more space and don't off-road as much the extra space under air and extra weight is worth it. YMMV.

sjwhiteley

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Short (standard) wheel base might look weird because of the rake. Take off the air dam, level with some shocks, and it looks fine. Same with the GM equivalents. Just my 2c on that.

Brons2

Reaction score
Mine is a shorty and I wish I had the longer one at times. You could not pick up 7 people at the airport with all their luggage because of the limited amount of space behind the back seat when the 3rd row was up. My wife is Brazilian and they travel heavy. We don't have people visiting us now because of Covid restrictions for people traveling from her country to the US, but I'm sure it will pick back up eventually. Garage space is not an issue for me, my garage is double length on one side.

However, at the time I got it, we really needed to finish up with a purchase because even with me working from home it was a burden to only have 1 car. I had sold my Hyundai commuter weeks before and it was getting old to have to share 1 car. I found the Navigator I have now and it was in great shape with maintenance records so I bought it. I plan to drive this one until the wheels fall off but when I eventually go to get another, I will either get the longer SUV or a pickup.

Anerbe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
ah I didn’t know that about the doors. That’s cool!

For me I have the short version and although people say “just get a crossover” (I was one of those people a few years ago), no crossover has the interior volume, cargo space, towing capacity and overall road dominance. They come close in some areas but the overall package isn’t there (VW Atlas, Chevy Traverse for example).

I can’t comfortably fit the extra foot in my garage so at the time the best decision was the short version with two kids and a small dog.

Now with a 3rd kid on the way… it’s making me rethink that garage space but there are plenty of people out there with smaller SUV’s and 3 kids so I’m wondering how they do it!

I think everyone on this forum can agree we are somewhat of an anomaly of a grouper of people. We have excess. We spent excess money, wanted excess size, etc. When given the opportunity to go BIGGER most of us take it haha. I started this post because I was curious if I really did need bigger… just because it’s an option, do I need it…

With a third one on the way, first expy I test drove was a Max - parking in my garage, it was a total of 10" space between front wall and the garage door. the front and rear bumpers wouldn't have survive a week with the wife's may short drives in and out.

At that point, I had to target a bench 2nd row, as the width of the 3 seats are quite generous. You can put 3 car seats across with no interference between passengers, while the third row/rear can be fully used for storage.

I'd go Max for any of these points if your Garage can support the length, potential 4th on the way, etc. Otherwise, you can perhaps borrow a bench Expedition to see if it works with your car seats, or even evaluate the retrofit center seat (requires sourcing of a center bench seat, removal of arm rests, and cutting some access points thru the carpet.

Storage behind the standard length 2nd row is quite ample for daily use, even with the single right 3rd row seat up. Considering my wife is 5'1", she mainly loads closer to the tailgate with room to spare.