expedition squeaking/creaking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tstouffer

Reaction score
About a month ago the front left area of my 98 expedition eddie bauer started squeaking really bad. its really loud in person and really annoying. i had my brakes replaced by my mechanic and i asked them to check out the squeak. when i picked it up they said that they couldnt figure out what the squeak was and that everything is tight and oiled up. so now im on a mission to fix it myself. heres a video of the sound

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUSUftPbBZE&list=UUDD_v4kBcG8k2TBpDpj2AIQ&index=1&feature=plcp

RobertNol

Full Access Members
Reaction score
About a month ago the front left area of my 98 expedition eddie bauer started squeaking really bad. its really loud in person and really annoying. i had my brakes replaced by my mechanic and i asked them to check out the squeak. when i picked it up they said that they couldnt figure out what the squeak was and that everything is tight and oiled up. so now im on a mission to fix it myself. heres a video of the sound

holy moly i have this SAME problem someone help plz! lol
Its so annoying. i love my expy but she sqeaks so badly.

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Definitely the ball joints, had the same problem. I replaced both my lower and uppers with Moog brand and it went away. They come with the zerks so you can keep them greased. I am 99% sure that is your problem as well, especially if the ball joints are still stock.

Lane24

technical advisor
Reaction score
X10 on the ball joints. Mine sound like that after every mud bog and the wash afterwards. Quick greasing will work for you if they are the greasable kind. Your video always changes direction just before you get to the ball joints to see if you have the little grease zerk or nipple. But it's an annoying sound for sure. Get er' greased up.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tstouffer

tstouffer

Reaction score
i greases up my ball joints on both sides all the way and it still squeaks :/ any other suggestions?

Expeditionary

Full Access Members
Reaction score
its ball joints all day...
get a needle attachment for your grease gun and puncture you BJs, thats what I did and it fixed it, but new ball joints are in your future

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The next two areas would be control arm bushings and spring pads. Easiest way to determine if they are the source would be with a stethoscope.