Fake Engine Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

st381183

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don’t think it is routed thru the radio system. It is piped thru the speakers whenever the engine is running.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don’t think it is routed thru the radio system. It is piped thru the speakers whenever the engine is running.
This.

It is unrelated to the radio or the entertainment system. It's a separate system that runs noise through the speakers in connection and synchronization with the engine and the revs, i.e. the harder the engine is working the more noise it puts out. To turn it off you have to either pull the applicable fuse (but I don't know what that fuse is or what else it controls) or do it through forscan or something (which I know absolutely nothing about). It's like the active noise cancellation in the platinums; it's not something you can turn on or off, it just...is.

edizzle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
if no one told you, you would have no idea!!! it is pretty seamless.

MonkeyBrains

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wish they didn’t use the fake noise. It actually sounds decent for what it is, but totally unnecessary. And if their market research is telling them that rumbly engine noise commonly associated with V8’s or powerful engines is desired, no reason they can’t tune the exhaust to really sound that way. These ecoboost engines don’t sound all that puny when straight-piped. Yes they’re a bit high pitched and have the turbo whine, but considering what GM has done with tuning their exhaust notes and the expense in doing so, no reason Ford can’t as well. To put it simply, they took the cheap and easy route and gave us phony sound. I personally would rather not have it. And would rather they not pursue tuning the actual exhaust sound in its place. Quiet is good.

That said, I didn’t notice the fake noise until after I put a few hundred miles on my Expy. Just didn’t register as being fake or wrong. I just don’t see the purpose of having it.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Wish they didn’t use the fake noise. It actually sounds decent for what it is, but totally unnecessary. And if their market research is telling them that rumbly engine noise commonly associated with V8’s or powerful engines is desired, no reason they can’t tune the exhaust to really sound that way. These ecoboost engines don’t sound all that puny when straight-piped. Yes they’re a bit high pitched and have the turbo whine, but considering what GM has done with tuning their exhaust notes and the expense in doing so, no reason Ford can’t as well. To put it simply, they took the cheap and easy route and gave us phony sound. I personally would rather not have it. And would rather they not pursue tuning the actual exhaust sound in its place. Quiet is good.

That said, I didn’t notice the fake noise until after I put a few hundred miles on my Expy. Just didn’t register as being fake or wrong. I just don’t see the purpose of having it.
Ford took a Billion dollar loan, to market and develop the EcoBoost. You bet your ass, they got negative feedback, on the the engine sound(like it sounds wimpy). A tuned exhaust, would of been too loud, for average buyers. The Mustang GT 5.0l, for example, has a sound tube, under the hood. It lets engine sound into the cabin. Ford got complaints, the 1st coyotes were too quiet. Listen to a Ram Hemi pickup. They have an excellent sounding, stock exhaust. Its a little loud, but who cares? Ford should offer a exhaust upgrade option.

Paddler

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ford took a Billion dollar loan, to market and develop the EcoBoost. You bet your ass, they got negative feedback, on the the engine sound(like it sounds wimpy). A tuned exhaust, would of been too loud, for average buyers. The Mustang GT 5.0l, for example, has a sound tube, under the hood. It lets engine sound into the cabin. Ford got complaints, the 1st coyotes were too quiet. Listen to a Ram Hemi pickup. They have an excellent sounding, stock exhaust. Its a little loud, but who cares? Ford should offer a exhaust upgrade option.

Leave the tuned exhausts for lifted pickup trucks and Mustangs. I want silence.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I agree why make it sound like something it’s not. That’s why I enjoy my 5.4L, quiet when I take it easy and growls when I hit it.

gtnator

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Me too! I can’t wait until they get rid of the combustion engine all together and go all electric with 1000 mile plus range...and totally quiet. Someday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk